12 tags of 2014 – april…

apriltag

i love the shabby color palette of these vintage looking tea roses against the bold patterned design of the background.  this nostalgic floral accent is the perfect compliment for the new frameworks dies, and the inspiration for this month’s tag.  now you may remember the first time i shared these flowers from that august 12 tags of 2012 using the tattered pinecone die.  well it’s a technique i’ve used many times, and with spring in air let it’s time for your creativity to be inspired, and see just how simple this tag is to create, let’s get started…t!m

supplies:

• surfaces: #8 manila tag, 8×8 paper stash, grungeboard
  • dies: frameworks trellis, tattered pinecone
  • embellishments: tissue tape, philosophy tag, wire pin, mirrored
  • trimmings: crinkle ribbon
  • distress ink: worn lipstick, tattered rose, scattered straw, squeezed lemonade
  • distress paint: iced spruce, evergreen bough
  • mediums: multi-medium
  • adheisves: hot glue
  • tools: mini blending tool, mister, collage glue stick, heat tool, sanding grip, cork, vagabond, toothpicks

DSC09336step 1: die cut grungeboard from trellis frameworks (we will use this as our “frame”).

DSC09337step 2: die cut mirrored and cork from trellis frameworks (we will use these “pieces”).

DSC09338step 3: cut scraps of cardstock and adhere to grungeboard with a collage gluestick.

DSC09339step 4: die cut collaged grungeboard from trellis frameworks (we will use these “pieces”).

*check out the frameworks video from cha…

DSC09345step 5: adhere various strips of tissue tape to a #8 tag to create a background collage.

DSC09346step 6: shake distress paint and apply over collaged tag.

DSC09347step 7: mist painted tag with water to blend color.

DSC09349step 8: begin blotting excess water and paint from tag, they dry with heat tool.

DSC09350step 9: ink tag with distress ink using mini ink blending tool – the tissue tape with resist most of the distress ink.

DSC09351step 10: flick water droplets over the inked surface.

DSC09352step 11: dry the water droplets with a heat tool or blot off with a towel.

DSC09353*this is the cool mottled effect created by layering distress paint and distress ink.

DSC09354step 12: lightly swipe distress paint over the grungeboard “frame” and let dry.

DSC09355step 13: lightly scuff over the grungeboard with a sanding grip to expose grunge.

DSC09356step 14: ink over the grungeboard with distress ink using a mini blending tool.

DSC09361step 15: cut the framework into sections and adhere together the tag using multi-medium.

DSC09362step 16: ink the edges of the “pieces” with distress ink using a mini blending tool.

DSC09363step 17: adhere some of the “pieces” back inside the “frame”.

DSC09364step 18: remove the paper backing of mirrored “piece” and adhere inside the “frame”.

DSC09366step 19: remove the protective film from mirrored to reveal.

DSC09367step 20: die-cut two tattered pinecone shape from paper to create the flowers.

DSC09368step 21: die-cut two juniper shapes from paper to create the greenery.

DSC09369step 22: create two flowers following the video instructions below…

*check out the versatility of the tattered pinecone die

DSC09370step 23: ink the flowers with distress ink using an ink blending tool.

DSC09371step 24: adhere the flowers and the juniper to the tag with hot glue.

DSC09373step 25: colorize crinkle ribbon by misting the ribbon with water and swipe distress ink over the ribbon, crinkle in a ball to dry, and tie around tag.

DSC09382the details: a painted philosophy tag pinned to the colored ribbon accents the small paper roses and intricate detailing of the frameworks.

congrats to the winners from the march 12 tags of 2014.  if you see your name (and it links to your tag), please email mario@timholtz.com to claim your prize…
1. ann chuang
2. lime green flamingo
3. lorraine
4. zoe russell
5. marianne
6. vintage plaid
7. alison/craftytrog
8. maggieh
9. buttons
10. laurie y
11. ana de isabel
12. lucki

(SSS code: APTH10 / IE code: timtime)

Bigz Tattered Pinecone                (IE|SSS)

click here                (IE|SSS)

click here                (IE|SSS)

click here                (SSS|SSS)

click here                (IE|SSS)

click here                (IE|SSS)

click here                (IE|SSS)

click here                (IE|SSS)

Crinkle Ribbon                (IE|SSS)

click here                (PHILOSOPHY TAGS|PHILOSOPHY TAGS)

click here                (SSS|IE)

Mister Bottle                (SSS|IE)

Heat Tool                (IE|SSS)

Craft Sheet                (IE|SSS)

click here                (SSS|SSS)

Vagabond                (IE|SSS)

119 Comments to “12 tags of 2014 – april…”

1. Joney says:

Love the tags, and that glue stick… must have, the corners instead of round great idea!

2. Lisa Leavitt says:

Sneaky Sneaky –Just realized how much of these fabulous products I have acquired by doing the 12 Tags this year … cuz ya know we have to have the products to make similar tags — sneaky sneaky in 2 ways…the obvious way is that if this was Mario’s idea it’s an EXCELLENT marketing plan … every company should have a “Mario” — the second way it’s sneaky sneaky is that my hubby knows I’m participating in making the tags so he doesn’t question my TMTH products purchases (in our home you’re known as “The Magnificent Tim Holtz” – therefore anything I need to make a TMTH project for the month is already included in the budget … love it.

3. […] Tim’s April tag was so fabulous, I pretty much copied it, but I did change a couple of things. […]

4. Dawna says:

Just purchased both the trellis and the tattered pine cone die because of this tag. Simply awesome. Thanks for sharing all your amazing ideas.

5. Jill Polanycia says:

Great tag inspiration! I just got all of the new dies in the mail and can’t wait to try them!

6. Rachel Fisher says:

wow – there are some beauties entered already – just checking back for the techniques – will be doing mine tonight! Thanks for the inspiration xx

7. Heather says:

I have to say I think this is one that has made my all time favorites list! Stunning tag!! Thank you for all the work you do in order to share with us your passion.

8. Stunning tag! Love how you used the die and then filled the “holes” with paper dies! Stunning and an awesome idea!!!!!!!!

9. Love the April tag, I am so in love with those new diecuts, I can’t wait to get my hot little hands on the honeycomb one 🙂

10. Trish R says:

Thanks for your “continuing education” with the 12 tags series. I appreciate the time you take to show us how to use your wonderful projects!

11. Alison Hall says:

So excited to have won a prize! And, this month’s tag takes my breath away, its so beautiful Tim!

12. Feikje says:

It’s gorgious as allways!

13. durandconnie says:

WOW you put a lot of time and energy into your blog with so many wonderful inspirations! I am going to dedicate a Pinterest area on my board and going through your past posts! thank you -con

14. Linda Storey says:

This tag is beautiful. I LoVe the colors you used. I really want one of the new dies.
    TFS!! Linda ;0)

15. fabulous tag so inspirational, i will look at my dies with more imagination!

16. This is an amazing tag Tim, I just loge all the elements that you used. Thanks for always doing these tags!!!

17. Maureen says:

Congrats Winners (Yay Karen!). So cool to see the inside of Ranger; it’s like one of those “How It Is Made” shows I so love to watch…

18. Tim, I had so much fun making this tag. One of my very favorites.

19. Gina says:

You both Amaze me!! As I am new to scrapbooking everything I see I wish I could do, LOL, I try!! Love Tim Holtz & Mario…. Just awesome!

20. Ramona says:

Somebody on Instagram said my April tag was classy. Oh my… 😉 that makes me feel like a winner! Great toot! Thanks T!m.
    #keepingitclassy

🙂

21. Terry says:

Oh I so love this tag for April and has luck would have it, I just received a Frameworks dies! Love the softer pastel colors! Can’t wait to start this! Thank you for all the inspiration as always!

22. Donna Schrader says:

Luciousness! Always love checking out the new tags! Thanks for the inspiration!

23. Mary Pendergrass says:

What a gorgeous tag. Makes me think Spring even after getting 8 inches of snow on April 4.

24. amyt2s says:

Wow….coloring, shading, detail. Another out of the park design Tim…thank you!

25. Carol Watson says:

Love the look the washi tape gives the base card. Another beautiful tim tag!

26. Theresa B. says:

Love the trellis made with this die cut and the flowers are always pretty. I find lots of uses for your mirrored sheets Tim. Love them! Bring on the Spring!

27. stampersuzz says:

Beautiful tag! Love the soft flowers and texture in the lattice

28. Another beautiful tag, T!m!!
    I’m going to follow the techniques, but have a wee bit different idea to celebrate our ygr PURDUE Nuclear Honors Engineer Sons 22nd Bday on 4.14.14….and his up-coming COLLEGE GRADUATION!! Definitely not a floral-kinda-thing, but myeeehhh could be a steampunk-kinda-thing!! 😉 LOVE all the new dies youve churned out this year!! Several are on my ‘Must Have’ list!! Congrats to all the winners for March; so many great tags shown on such great blogs!!!

29. Judy Cantrell says:

Gorgeous tag, Tim!

30. Pam B says:

beautiful! Can’t wait to get some of the frameworks dies!

31. Linda Polaretzki says:

Beautiful tag – need to make this one

32. debbiew says:

Another great tag. Thanks for reminding me I can make the flower with the pinecone die.

33. Sue W. says:

Fabulous! Love, love, love this tag! Can’t wait to have some time to play.

34. Mrs B says:

Hi Tim. Love the tag and the roses. The colours are beautiful. Take care

35. naomi davis says:

Love that trellis die. Beautiful tag

36. Jan in Tucson says:

We’ll, you hit it out of the park again Tim! Thanks so much for your inspiration. You ARE the BEST!!! Happy Easter to you and Mario.

37. oh my so very pretty. Love it will have to raid my stash and see what I can come up with 🙂

38. Maureen Chandler says:

Wonderful tag – thanks so much for the videos too!!!

39. Di F says:

Love this month’s tag! Now, where can I find those smaller distress ink pads?? I’ve never seen them.

40. Another fantastic die! Such versatility. Great ideas.

41. Bonnie Eng says:

Gorgeous – I can’t wait to try some of these techniques – I love the layering of the paints and inks, and the use of the washi paper on the tag base before layering the colours.

42. Trent Miller says:

OMG – this tag is the complete bomb….i cant wait to make this one…

43. marileew says:

Another beautiful tag for Spring! Thanks Tim….

44. Diana says:

by far one of my favourite for so many reasons!!!

45. Ruby C says:

Tim, it is simply gorgeous.

46. Kathy Eddy says:

Oh this is my favorite so far! Got my dies in the mail too!

47. What a super gorgeous tag! Love the frameworks and the flowers! Congrats winners too!

48. Love this tag! I need that pinecone die!

49. Cathy in Canada says:

Totally awesome tag Tim! Love it! It is inspiring me!