12 tags of christmas…day 4

Santa

supplies: (ranger) craft sheet, adirondack alcohol inks/denim/sailboat blue/pool, archival ink/jet black, glossy accents, stickles/silver, ink applicator tool, distress ink/faded jeans, ink blending tool; (idea-ology) facets, swivel clasp, jump rings, baubles, trimmings, mini pins, mini clips, adage tickets, seasonal paper stash; (stampers anonymous) mini holidays stamp set, mini holidays 2 stamp set; (tonic) scissors; (misc) bling on a roll, pearls on a roll

DSC02994
(step 1): we're working with facets and the cool thing about these is they are flat on one side and faceted on the other so we have lots of options to be creative with – they also come with small jump rings so they're ready to be attached.

DSC02995
(step 2): apply felt to the ink applicator tool.

DSC02997
(step 3): apply random colors of adirondack alcohol ink to felt by squeezing the ink into the felt.

DSC02999
(step 4): working on the FLAT side of the facet, tap inked tool over facet to colorize.

DSC03000
(step 5): allow inks to dry for about 5 seconds and repeat with additional layers until desired look is achieved.  let dry.

DSC03001
*here i wanted to show you the variation in color intensity you can achieve by stopping at one layer of ink vs. adding additional layers. *for more info on using alcohol inks click here.

DSC03003
(step 6): apply jet black archival ink to stamp and leave stamp rubber side up.

DSC03004
(step 7): press facet flat side down on to the stamp creating an INK to INK contact (alcohol ink to archival ink) and lift off.

DSC03005
*okay so at this point you have an image stamped in black on the back of the facet – looks nice!  you could leave it this way and dry it with a heat tool if you wish – BUT….we're not!

DSC03006
(step 8): what we're going to do instead is immediately blot the archival ink off (while it's wet) with a soft dry cloth.  blotting is going to lift the wet archival directly off of the facet.  DO NOT wipe for this step, just blot off as much ink as you can.  *it's important to work quickly becasue if the archival ink dries it will be permanent.

DSC03007
(step 9): once you've blotted off the majority of the archival ink with the cloth, lightly wipe the remaining archival ink off with a soft cloth….and check it out!

DSC03009
*that's right – the jet black archival ink removed the alcohol ink leaving the image completely clear!  now if this step didn't work out quite right, don't worry you can simply go back and reink the facet covering everything up and try it again…another thing to keep in mind is that the image is now reverse so you shouldn't really do this technique with words…

DSC03010
(step 10): apply a small amount of glossy accents to the outside edges only of the facet on the inked side.

DSC03011
(step 11): place the facet on to white cardstock and hold in place to dry.

DSC03012
(step 12): cut around the outside of the facet with a sharp pair of non-stick scissors.

DSC03014
(step 13): pierce the hole through top of the facet.

DSC03013
*there you have it – an alcohol ink resist facet….cool technique isn't it?

DSC03035
(step 14): i wanted a festive background so i placed a tag over a piece of seasonal paper and traced around it.

DSC03036
(step 15): cut out paper and adhere to tag.

DSC03037
(step 16): punch hole in top of tag.

DSC03038
(step 17): ink the edges of the tag with distress ink using ink blending tool.

DSC03039
(step 18): i've found these really cool embellishments…bling on a roll…at michaels.

DSC03041
(step 19): they are self adhesive so i adhered them to the bottom of the tag.

DSC03042
(step 20): next i cut up some prima bling flourishes and adhered to the tag.

DSC03043
(step 21): attach facet to a mini pin with a small jump ring that are included with the facets.

DSC03044
(step 22): color trimmings with distress ink (*see steps in previous tags) and tie on to tag.  attach baubles to mini pin with jump rings and pin to trimmings.

DSC03045
(step 23): select an adage ticket.

DSC03046
(step 24): ink edges of ticket with distress ink using an ink blending tool and secure to tag with mini clip.

Santa2
*in the details: i love the way the inked facet pops off of this tag.  this could also make a cool ornament, wearable piece of jewelry or accent on a holiday journal.

so now…more ideas (sorry i simply couldn't help myself again).  sometimes i like to use a stamped image behind a facet instead of stamping on them, but i wanted to create a subtle tint around the image and still add a little sparkle – here's how i did it…

DSC03015
(sparkly snowman) apply alcohol ink to the edges of the flat side of the facet with ink applicator tool – it's important to leave the center clear for this one.

DSC03017
(sparkly snowman) stamp the mini snowman on to a piece of white cardstock with archival ink and let dry.

DSC03019
(sparkly snowman) apply silver stickles around the clear center on the back of the facet. *distress stickles don't work real well for this effect.

DSC03020
(sparkly snowman) apply glossy accents across the entire back of the facet.

DSC03021
(sparkly snowman) press facet on to stamped image and hold to dry – this one can get pretty messy but don't worry since we're cutting it out anyways.

DSC03023
(sparkly snowman) cut around excess paper with non-stick scissors and marvel at your sparkly creation!

DSC03050
*here i attached the facet to a swivel clasp with a word stick and a few baubles…perfect for an ornament or gift tag!

okay so i also wanted to show you a very simple way to create a custom facet just from using your favorite papers.

DSC03028
(custom facet) select the paper you would like to use – i'm using my seasonal paper stash.  *i love this paper stash becasue it has all of the seasons in one stash: vintage valentines, easter, spring, 4th of july, halloween, thanksgiving, and christmas!

DSC03029
(custom facet) apply glossy accents to the flat side of the facet and spread around the whole surface the tip of the bottle.

DSC03030
(custom facet) press facet on to paper and move in a slight circular motion to spread out the glossy accents.

DSC03031
(custom facet) press facet down and hold to dry.

DSC03032
(custom facet) trim excess paper with non-stick scissors.

DSC03033
*just check out the possibilities of this one….you could even use these over photos (just not ink jet)!

DSC03049
*here i attached the facet to a swivel clasp with a philosophy tag and a few baubles…perfect for an ornament or gift tag too!

478 Comments to “12 tags of christmas…day 4”

1. you never disappoint your fans. your creativity is truly amazing and awe inspiring. Love the use of these facets and know that I will be heading to my LSS to seek some for my supplies. Thank you for sharing

2. Jan Hoefler says:

I love the facets. I love crystal chandeliers, cut glass & prisms and that’s what they remind me of! So glad I left alcohol inks out 2 days ago….
    LOVE the extra tips, steps, ideas you’re sharing!

3. Brenda B says:

I love this. Every morning I wake up and I have a gift waiting for me. Your tags are amazing TIM. I love the facets on today’s tag. I need to go shopping again!

4. Amazing, just amazing!! Thank you!!

5. Sheree' Neumann says:

OMG! Another stunner. But you are just loaded with great ideas.
    Sheree’

6. Ann says:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TIM. Another georgeous tag and 8 more to go. Your tags are the gift I look forward to the most.

7. mandy webb says:

oh to be a little elf in your workroom!!! love love love the facet idea on this tag – big thankyou Tim! x

8. sharon nixon says:

Truely beautiful. I have not seen those large facets before, so will now have to search for some!

9. Debi says:

Beautiful!
    What more is there to say besides “Love It”?

10. Mazz says:

you’ SO truly ROCKIN’ with inspiration, imagination and incredible talent…I SO heart you T!m 🙂

11. Jannet says:

Thisis my favourite so far! I think I will have to get some of those facets to play with!

12. evelyn says:

Love all the bling. I’ve actually done this technique on a tag only I used gift wrap paper. thanks for the fragment ideas.

13. Pat D says:

I am setting aside the entire afternoon to play with facets. Great techniques as alway. Thanks Tim

14. Sian says:

Beautiful tag, love the bling! Great idea with the stickles on the snowman facet, must have a go at that!

15. laura huffman says:

i need some facets, and baubles. gonna try this as soon as i go shopping. love it. gonna play this weekend.

16. Rachelle says:

Another beautiful tag, Tim!Love all the embellishments you’ve shown us today and can hardly wait to get started.

17. LOVE the sparkly snowman facet. That’s such a great idea. I’m off to break out the stickles and my box of fragments.

18. Clare H says:

Fabulous tag today! Love the use of them facet’s
    Clare

19. dpeters says:

Now where did I see facets? I pulled some clear beads out of my stash yesterday to try coloring with alcohol inks. Gonna make some of my own baubles. And though I have the tissue tape… am trying making some custom from medical paper tape. Maybe personalize some with an address stamp.
    How exciting… All weekend to play!

20. Barb H says:

What a pretty tag! The facets are very cool. I remember the technique (archival removing the alcohol ink) but I wouldn’t have thought to use it on the facet. Neat!
    Thanks Tim!
    Barb

21. MicheleA says:

It’s stunning. Can’t wait to try it with pictures to create a unique gift for somebody. I forsee a trip to my LSS in my future.

22. Sharon says:

WOW my favourite yet, loving those facets and that blue is beautiful. Must go buy some x

23. mary w says:

Love the facet techniques-I have had a package of these in my art room for 2 months and have just admired them..LOL..today I will bust open that package!

24. Jen Clark says:

Absolutely gorgeous tag, once again!! Every day is like opening a new present, just from you!! Hoping I get to feeling better so I can catch up on tags 3 and 4!!! Thanks for all your hard work (and play!)!!!

25. Cheryl M says:

I think this is my favorite so far. Seems they just get better and better. I have to say that I love the blue and the charm is so fun. Thanks

26. Heather says:

OMG! What you did with the facet is just too awesome! I’m definately going to try that one! Thanks for sharing!

27. Pamela E. says:

I think facets might be my new favorite thing, now that I’ve seen what you were able to do with them! I was looking back at my files yesterday to see all of the tags you’ve made throughout the last 4 years. It’s interesting to see how techniques, materials, supplies, etc have evolved. They just keep getting better and better! You do amazing, beautiful, creative work! Thank you.

28. carol b says:

Verrrrrry nice. The embelishments really dress it up. Once again, thank you for another awe-inspiring tag.

29. Debby says:

Just gorgeous. I don’t have the facets yet so I will improvise with fragments or maybe microscope slides.

30. wow amazing got to try this one now ! looks like you just could not stop creating thansk for sharing Tim cant wait till the next

31. Lara Walker says:

I just saw something similar to this at a craft show and was wondering how she did it! Now I can make my own, they’re adorable. These tags are so amazing, LOVE them all.

32. Maggi says:

Love this taga tim. Thanks for more inspiration!!

33. Regan Tomlin says:

Oh….who doesn’t love pretties!? And ones that you can custom make!!?? Thanks for your creative genius 🙂

34. Aubrey says:

Unbelievable!! You rock tim!! It’s nice to wake up to such great ideas.

35. Zarah says:

That’s goregous! Love the wintery, snowy feeling.

36. Barbara G. says:

OH really cool. Love the colors. Barbara G

37. Wendy says:

Stunning!!! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing ideas.

38. Lorraine says:

Those facets are just amazing! Another fabulous tag. Thanks for sharing all those wonderful techniques.

39. Karen S. Ohio says:

Blue ink resist facets!!!!Yippppppeeeeee!!! Tim these facets are awesome!!!! The blue is amazing!!!! The seasonal paper stack rocks!!!
    It is full of vintage images that you can use in so many ways. Thank you for sharing all of these wonderful projects with us!
    Okay, I’ll hold my breath until tomorrow…..
    Congrats to all the winners!

40. Martha says:

Tim, thank you for sharing your lovely creations and detailed instructions each day. What a wonderful inspiration you are!
    -Many blessings to you!

41. May Jones says:

Hi T!m, I love the facets and how you have worked them with the inks. I have run out, so I am going to get out the meltpot and have a go at making something similar. Thanks so much for the inspiration you never fail to provide. Huge Hug! May.

42. Jeannette says:

WOW! I LOVE fragments, didn’t think too much about facets, but now I wanna play with those too! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sparkly snowman idea….I can’t wait to go try that out today!

43. andra says:

Put dog out for bathroom…check…feed cats…check…see new blog posting check!!!!!!! Anything that looks like bling, how cool is that!
    Smiles,Andra

44. Caroline Hallett says:

Great ideas again T!m

45. Jenny K says:

I love that technique of lifting alcohol inks with the archival ink – I’m already thinking of other things to do with it.

46. Pam Auty says:

This tag is totally awesome, I’m off to have a go. See you tomorrow xx

47. jo meyer says:

I get up in the middle of the night to see the next tag, and watch more Tim Holtz videos to see how to do the next technique– And tonight I was just amazed. I get to do facets in the morning. Can hardly wait to get up and get at em.

48. Gail E says:

My favorite tag so far –love the vintage feel with bling! I love, love, love the faucets!!! I have never used them, but you can be sure I will be getting some to play with. Thanks, Tim for giving us all the gift of your Twelve Tags of Christmas. I so look forward to it!

49. Those facets are amazing! I’ve had a lot of fun this year with fragments and making jewelry, but now I need to try these. The look is just beautiful!

1 7 8 9 10