12 tags of 2015 – may…

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comthere are certain things that capture a sense of nostalgia, and for me this month’s tag is certainly one of them. several elements make this one of my personal favorites so far this year. the combination of textures, tinted photo, tiny paper flowers, layered ephemera and embellishments really tell a creative story. it’s one of those projects that at first glance one might see as complicated or too detailed when in fact it’s quite easy to do. after all, seeing the process step by step is what these monthly tag tutorials are all about – simplifying the complicated. i hope you enjoy creating your tag as much as i did…t!m

supplies:

• surfaces: textured surfaces/burlap, #8 manila tag, kraft core cardstock
  • dies: tiny tattered floral, tag & bookplates
  • layering stencil: typo
  •  embellishments: photobooth, ephemera, small talk, typed token, star fasteners, loop pin, memo pin, arrow adornment, crinkle ribbon, linen ribbon, remnant rubs
  •  distress markers: broken china, squeezed lemonade
  • distress ink: frayed burlap, walnut stain, cracked pistachio
  • distress stain: antique linen
  • mediums: texture paste
  • adhesives: glue n’ seal/matte, hot glue gun
  • tools: distress marker spritzer, mini ink blending tool, remnant rub tool, sanding grip, craft pick, heat tool, scissors, palette knife, craft knife, vagabond
  •  misc: cotton swab, buttons, sewing machine (optional)

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 1: die cut #8 tag shape using burlap from textured surfaces.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 2: remove paper backing from burlap (all textured surfaces are adhesive backed – love this).

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 3: adhere the burlap to a #8 manila tag for the base surface.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 4: place layering stencil over burlap and apply texture paste through part of the stencil us-ing a palette knife.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 5: carefully lift stencil and allow design to dry. immediately clean texture paste from stencil and palette knife with water.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 6: select various ephemera pieces for your background – select small scale elements.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 7: once texture paste is dry, ink over area with distress ink using ink blending tool to tint.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 8: ink edges of tag and ephemera with brown hues of distress using blending tool.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 9: adhere ephemera to burlap background using glue n’ seal.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 10: apply a thin layer of glue n’ seal over adhered ephemera and stencilled design – let dry completely (it will dry clear).

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 11: select a photo from the photobooth pack.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 12: select brighter colors of distress markers and get a dry cotton swab.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 13: color directly on areas of photo using the brush nib of the marker.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 14: blend color into the paper using a dry cotton swab (reapply color if needed).

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 15: repeat previous steps for as many colors as you want to tint with.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 16: allow ink to dry completely or use heat tool to dry ink.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 17: scuff the edges of the photo with a sanding grip to expose the paper.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 18: ink the edges with distress ink using an ink blending tool and let dry.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 19: select remnant rub designs and cut out various images to use.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 20: remove white backing from rub and apply to surface using remnant rub tool.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 21: remove clear layer of rub to transfer the design. the remnant rub tool is metal and has a round tip making applying and transferring smaller images much easier than using a stick.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 22: insert photobooth photo on to memo pin and select a typed token word. attach the token through the loop of the memo pin using a mini star fastener.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 23: cut a piece of crinkle ribbon long enough to wrap around tag and tie in a bow. color us-ing distress stain to coordinate with tag.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 24: wrap ribbon around tag and tie in a bow – trim ends of ribbon if needed.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 25: pin memo pin through burlap layer of the tag behind the ribbon as shown.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 26: select quote from small talk sticker book. i love that each quote comes in black or white.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 27: cut various sections of words apart and sand edges using a sanding grip.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 28: adhere quote directly to burlap tag.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comthis is the new tiny tattered floral die set that includes 15 dies and this cool quilling tool. check out the new video below to see how these work to create mini flowers using your favorite pa-pers.

pretty simple to do right? well let’s make some…

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 29: die cut tiny tattered florals and leaves of your choice from kraft core cardstock.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 30: create them using the included quilling tool and fold and sand the leaves to create the vein.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 31: ink the die cut pieces with distress ink using an ink blending tool.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 32: adhere flowers and leaves to the tag using a hot glue gun.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 33: attach a couple of buttons to a loop pin and pin through the ribbon. add stitched ele-ments using a sewing machine if you choose.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comstep 34: lightly spritz over select areas of the tag with a black soot distress marker using the dis-tress marker spritzer.

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.comthe details: i love the layer look of this tag, the textured background, tinted photo, tiny paper flowers, and that final spritz of black ink gives it the perfect vintage touch.

Pin It To Remember It!

12 Tags of 2015 - May | www.timholtz.com

congrats to the winners from the april 12 tags of 2015. if you see your name (and it links to your tag), please email mario@timholtz.com to claim your prize…

1. Sioux
2. Deb Riddle
3. Barbara Washington
4. Doreen’s Dream
5. Inky and Quirky
6. Judy Cantrell
7. Kerstin F.
8. Fisher’s Card and Crafts
9. Bobbie Smith
10. Phyl’s Crafting Corner
11. Sarah T.
12. Theresa Petermann

*be sure to check your local stores for these supplies or you can click the links below to purchase online with a discount of 10% off your purchase – use the following code with your order:  SSS code: 10MAYTH

92 Comments to “12 tags of 2015 – may…”

1. Sandi says:

Well, I couldn’t take part in this month’s challenge, as I’m still waiting for my tiny tattered flower die cut. Hopefully I will be able to do June’s challenge. Good luck to all who entered!

2. This was the perfect opportunity for me to design a tag in memory of my father. Thank you for the inspiration. Blessings!

3. […] is my take on Tim Holtz’s Tags of 2015 – May . Head over to Tims blog for details of how he created May’s Tag and to look at all the other lovely tags […]

4. Ruby C says:

Love this tag Tim. I wanted that die as soon as I saw it but you have so many new products I can’t have them all. It’s on my wish list though. I see you have a lot of entries this month again. You are such an inspiration. Thank you so much for creating a tag for us each month. Looking forward to seeing what you have for us in June!

5. miria says:

Hi! I’d like to thank you Tim for inspiring us once again! This is my third tag and I’m starting to understand how it is to “embrace imperfection” and let our creativity free to go.

6. Ellie Knol says:

Just added mine. Thanks for the inspiration again!

7. Terry says:

I tell you this was such a fun tag and I so loved your tag! Great inspiration as always! Congrats to the fabby April winners!

8. Julia says:

Gorgeous! This month’s tag has given me inspiration for a canvas!

9. […] TimHoltz: 12 Tags of 2015 – May […]

10. […] quick post this morning to share my Tim Holtz May tag.  Tim shares  his process each month on his blog.  I’m not a fan of working on a burlap substrate, it is something about the texture.  This […]

11. Tim — I adore this tag! It seriously looks like a cherished keepsake of long-distance friends. Can’t wait to play with the burlap tag. Now, if I can just get it done by the end of the month 🙂 Thanks for the fantastic inspiration!!

12. Pamela Jay says:

Help looking for times brick stencil.

13. […] first is the result of an experiment I tried, to see how well the 1st 3 releases of Tim Holtz’s new colors-of-the-month played together.  They are, January – Cracked Pistachio, February –  Abandoned Coral and March – […]

14. I was so excited when I saw that I had been picked as one of the April tag winners. Thank you so much Tim and Mario! It was the first time I had entered the monthly tag challenge, which made it even more special. I loved the floral stamps and had a lot of fun playing with water colors. Thanks again and also thanks to everyone who left kind comments on my blog.

15. Beautiful & inspiring!

16. […] Both my mum and my mother-in-law have their birthday today, on the 17th May, such a crazy coincidence! Here are the cards that I made for them, inspired by Tim Holtz’s May Tag. […]

17. Loved making this tag! Actually, I love the 1st of the month when I get to see the new tag to be inspired by!!

18. Cheryl T. says:

I love this month’s tag. Super cool with the burlap plus I really love the flower dies! I love seeing your creation every month.

19. […] Here’s my version of Tim’s May tag… […]

20. […] version of Tim’s May 2015 tag.  Mine is pretty similar except instead of rolling those flowers I painted the new Heirloom Roses […]

21. Nancy B says:

What a great tag for Mother’s day! I love the mini bouquet.

22. […] made a second tag inspired by Tim’s May 12 tags of 2015 and yet again the photobooth card inspired my beach theme. I thought the girl in the photo looked […]

23. Jenel says:

Great tag this month! I was at Magic Kingdom on May 1st, but still had to check my phone from the park to see the new tag & Distress color. It made an awesome day even better!

24. My shopping list grows ever longer – so many fantastic products I need! Still managed to do a tag with what I had available anyway. Thanks for the inspiration as usual.

25. Sammy Jean says:

This was so much fun to do. LOVE the tinted photo technique. And yes, I quite simply adore the photobooth images. Going to need a second pack soon at the rate I’m going through them.

26. […] of mind, right? LOL Regardless this is my favorite tag so far and I am proudly submitting it for Tim’s challenge.  Thanks again for the wonderful […]

27. Susan Ball says:

A brillian tag 😉 Had to join in again….especially as I’ve used a photo of my mum who was called…..May! Had to be 😉
    Thanks
    xoxo Sioux

28. Michelle B says:

So love this inspiration. Great idea for family B&W photos!

29. Lois K. says:

My FAVORITE tag….my birthday month and my FAVORITE dies (the flowers). This is so inspiring – I cannot WAIT to get these dies.

30. Michelle B says:

Absolutely love this tag and its right in time for my Mom’s 80th Birthday Celebration invite.

31. Dria says:

wonderful! I love all the techniques. I need the tattered floral die so badly!

32. marileew says:

Beautiful!

33. Kirsten says:

Such a beautiful tag & the adhesive burlap is a genius idea.

34. neetu says:

Hello Tim Holtz !!!

35. Cathy Osborne says:

Beautiful.

36. rettaescape says:

Awesome! Love all the layers and details.

37. die amelie says:

A lovely tag! And so inspirational! Thanks! Greetings from Vienna,
    Claudia xx

38. heike bruhn says:

Amazing tag!!!…..Love the handmade flowers…..Hugs from The Netherlands

39. SuzanD says:

Love the tiny flower die

40. Gigi B. says:

That’s pretty cool. I love the design and the tiny flowers are so cute.

41. Glenda A says:

This was a fun tag.

42. sue says:

I love the burlap texture of the tag and all of the layering. The vintage aspect of the tag is wonderful.

43. Helen says:

I love it!!! I really love the flowers!!

44. Krista Baginsky says:

I love the flower dies!

45. Gorgeous May tag, Tim. I love everything about it. Such texture with the burlap background, flowers, and Idea-ology. And YES, I immediately ordered the tiny tattered florals die!

46. Beautiful tag – I love the hand colored photo!! Just a heads up, none of the IE links work for me (it might just be me?) but I thought you should know 🙂

47. Jean Pierce says:

Love this month’s tag!. I actually have made all 4 tags so far this year!! A first for me to get them done so fast. I made my versions of it and used a picture of my sister and I from years ago. What memories it brought back. Thank you!!!!!