12 tags of 2015 – june…

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.coma great thing about creativity is that is can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be.  you can take an idea and adapt it however you choose.  for this month’s tag i wanted to create a plaid background, basic right?  there was many ideas spinning in my head to achieve this including stamps, stencils, embossing folders, inks, paints, papers, etc. the list could go on an on.  that’s when you just have to pick one and go for it which is exactly what i did and see what happens.  i had such fun with this distressed plaid technique and i think you will too, and the best part is it provides a backdrop for any type of project, and can be created in any color palette you choose – let’s get to it…t!m

supplies:

• surfaces: #8 manila tag, textured surfaces/burlap/corrugate, plastic packaging, chipboard
  • layering stencil: THS004 stripes
  • stamp: CMS183 hashtags
  • dies: fresh brewed
  • embellishments: mirrored star, linen ribbon, jute string, loop pins, typed tokens
  • distress ink pad: DIY distress it yourself, walnut stain
  • distress reinkers: mowed lawn, pine needles, peeled paint
  • distress spray stain: frayed burlap
  • distress paint: picket fence, peeled paint
  • alcohol ink: mushroom
  • tools: distress sprayer, mini ink blending tool, paper distressed, scissors, mini brayer, craft scraper, craft sheet, heat tool, tiny attacher, sanding grip, vagabond
  • adhesive: 1/8” wonder tape, matte multi-medium, black foam tape

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 1: create a custom blend DIY distress it yourself ink pad by selecting various colors of distress reinkers. *note: for a video showing how to create one click here.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 2: apply your first color of distress reinker directly to the felt pad by drawing a line with the reinker and filling in the area using the dropper.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 3: repeat the previous step using various colors.  the neat thing about this type of felt is that once the inks are applied, the colors will not cross contaminate into each other.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 4: using a craft scraper, drag over the inked surface in the direction of your lines to “put” the ink into the pad.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 5: roll a brayer over the inked pad by rolling and lifting to cover the entire roller.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 6: place lid back on the ink pad and brayer over the label to index your “custom blend”.  lightly wipe away excess ink using a dry paper towel or cloth.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 7: gather a manila tag, distress spray stain, and sprayer with water. note: for a video showing the features of the distress sprayer click here.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 8: mist entire tag with water from distress sprayer.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 9: spray distress spray stain 2-3 times over wet tag allowing stain to drip and blend.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 10: slowly squeeze the trigger of the distress sprayer to apply “drips” of water over tag.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 11: dry inked tag with a heat tool.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 12: this technique creates the perfect blended mottled background.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 13: gather a stripe layering stencil, distress sprayer, and DIY ink pad.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 14: place the stencil on your craft sheet and hold ink pad where lines of ink and stencil are the same direction.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 15: swipe the ink pad along the layering stencil covering the area from top to bottom.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 16: lift pad and repeat covering the entire stencil surface.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 17: mist inked stencil with water to create droplets of ink on the surface.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 18: lift stencil, flip over, and place down over tag as shown.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 19: blot over the stencil with a cloth or paper towel to print the image and remove excess ink.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 20: carefully lift stencil and clean off remaining ink.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 21: re-apply the ink pad on the stencil and mist with water.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 22: turn the stencil horizontal and print along the top of the tag as shown.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 23: turn stencil around and print along the bottom tag as shown lining up the edge of the stencil in the center of the tag.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 24: carefully lift stencil and clean off remaining ink.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 25: dry finished plaid with a heat tool.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 26: drag a paper distresser along the edges of the tag to tatter.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 27: ink the edges of the tag with distress ink using an ink blending tool.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 28: gather various surfaces to die cut: chipboard, plastic, corrugate, and a straw  (what better way to match the perfect color right?).

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 29: place the various surfaces over the areas of the die as shown.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 30: run the die through the vagabond to cut out the various surfaces.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 31: paint the chipboard circle with distress paint and let dry.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 32: sand edges to expose chipboard.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 33: ink the porous surfaces with distress ink using blending tool.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 34: remove backing from corrugate and adhere to chipboard cup.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 35: adhere chipboard circle to corrugate with multi-medium.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 36: apply a strip of 1/8” wonder tape along the top edge of the cup as shown.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 37: remove red liner and adhere plastic lid.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 38: add some “whipped cream” to the back of the lid using distress paint and your finger.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 39: adhere the straw to the back of the cup using wonder tape.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 40: apply strips of black foam tape along the back top and bottom of the cup as shown.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 41: cut a strip of burlap and ink the edges with distress and blending tool.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 42: cut a strip of cardstock to create flag and stamp hashtag with archival ink.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 43: remove backing to adhere burlap to bottom of tag and secure flag with tiny attacher.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 44: tint mirrored star by dripping mushroom alcohol ink over the top and let dry.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 45: adhere star to circle using multi-medium and tie jute string around the base of the cup.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 46: ink linen ribbon with distress using ink blending tool.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 47: pull edges apart to wiped ribbon and tie through top of the tag.

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.comstep 48: remove backing of foam tape and adhere cup to the tag – perfect for sliding in your FAVORITE gift card!

Pin It To Remember It!

12 tags of 2015 - June by Tim Holtz | www.timholtz.com

congrats to the winners from the may 12 tags of 2015.  if you see your name (and it links to your tag), please email mario@timholtz.com to claim your prize…

1. Rachel Kleinman
2. Two Mad Dahlias
3. kay wallace
4. Carol’s Craft Room
5. Lee-Anne
6. Claudia
7. butterfly
8. Lynn Kopas
9. Ink-A-Pink
10. Canadian Nickel Scrapper
11. Joanne Parkin
12. Paper Talk With Samra

*be sure to check your local stores for these supplies or you can click the links below to purchase online with a discount of 10% off your purchase – use the following code with your order: SSS code: 10JUNETH

101 Comments to “12 tags of 2015 – june…”

1. […] scorso ha proprio toppato (a mio gusto) ma come si dice capita anche ai migliori! La tag proposta questo mese invece è più “guardabile” (diciamo che siamo in lenta ripresa) e io l’ho […]

2. […] It’s that time of the month again when we join in with Tim Holtz on his 12 Tags of 2015. June’s tag is all about finding different ways to create the same effect. To see Tim’s tag tutorial click here […]

3. What a treat! As a coffee lover, I had a blast with this one. Blessings to you and Mario!

4. Lisa c says:

What a fabulous tag! I really love the plaid background! I can’t wait to try it! Thanks for the inspiration Tim!

5. Tracy Evans says:

I was really inspired by the colours on this month’s tag, I love greens and I love the added natural elements too. I created a canvas and had a blast. Tracy x

6. I could NOT resist this one! Thanks for another great inspiration tag Tim! I think this is one of my all time favs.

7. Love the “plaid!” And now I have a new idea for gift cards!

8. Jackie Lage says:

I had to play along with this one. I have been in a crafting funk lately. I rearranged my craft room and then got inspired by your tag. I think I’m back in my groove and I can resume creating in my room now!

9. stampersuzz says:

As always thanks for the inspiration! The plaid is fab and the coffee cup is on trend!

10. Kim says:

Oh, I can’t believe I only now realized you had a blog. Maybe I shouldn’t be saying this out loud, LOL.
    Anyway I will be a faithful follower from now on!

11. […] was inspired by Tim Holtz’s June Tag to make this wedding card. You can see Tim’s tag tutorial […]

12. Paulette S. says:

I Love this Tim! I actually have this awesome die, that I scored with my Mothers Day monies, and we are all coffee lovers here. LOL I’m definately going to find time to play, this month! Thanks for doing these fun tags, I love the inspiration, I love the easy going rules to your challenges and most of all I love finding things that will work when I don’t have the exact item you used (I love the challenge). Have a Great Month!

13. Lee-Anne says:

So thrilled to be one of the May winners! Congrats to the other fabulous winners! Love your plaid technique, Tim…thanks for always inspiring me!

14. Loving the mix of media on this one Tim!

15. Bonnie says:

Very cute – would make a nice design for a Father’s Day card too!

16. Sammy Jean says:

Fantastic tag! I absolutely, totally LOVE it! However, I myself am a tea-a-holic, so went in that direction with my tag instead.
    Thank you for some brilliant inspiration this month. Also, is it really June already? Eek!

17. Jackie Lage says:

I really hope I will be able to make some time to do this months tag. I love the stencil technique and I love coffee. It’s a perfect tag for me to try. It came out awesome, as always 😉

18. KATHLEEN says:

Wow. Being a coffee addict, this may be my favorite tag ever!!!! Thanks Tim!

19. Hetty says:

As a coffee lover, I just love this months tag!!
    But…..#$% this die is not available in Europe!
    Can you believe it, they think it is too American, well
    Starbucks is here too.

20. Amy Fudally says:

I love it. Very Seattle feeling. Can’t wait to start mine in the am.

21. Candy says:

Really interesting! Love the integration of the gift card with coffee theme. Inspired!

22. Nancy B says:

I love this new and different way to make plaid!

23. I love the plaid background tim! I’m so glad you did this step by step on how to create your own custom ink pad. No offense to Hero Arts but I’d much prefer to use a blank ink pad and reinkers to make my own ombre stamp rather than buy a pre-made one. I was wondering, one day, would you share with us what attracts you so much to all things vintage? Is it the patina, the imperfections, the knowing that something was valued by someone special from long ago? This is a really modern motif (Starbuck’s style coffee cup) which is a really new direction for you, and I’ve noticed your new colors are brighter than your usual palette….I’d love to learn more about your evolving style, and how you’ve decided to blend the old with the new.

24. Linda Polaretzki says:

Great Tag!!! Can’t believe its June already!

25. Patricia B says:

Love this tag, your talent knows no bounds. Thank you so much for sharing with us. You are awesome.

26. Pam Plencner says:

Absolutely love the plaid background technique. Creates a beautiful background plus is helps promote selling the DIY Ink Pad. Great dual purpose technique.

27. very cool technique!!

28. Theresa G. says:

Is ay this every month…..THIS may be my favorite tag!! I am absolutely WILD about that plaid!! I never thought about using that stencil in just that way!! FANTASTIC!! LOVE it!

29. Jessica says:

Love this one… the grunge is perfect! And a real straw on the die, great idea. Thanks Jess

30. Asha says:

I absolutely love the DIY custom colour idea. You never fail to amaze Tim.

31. Margaret in NY says:

LOVE this tag!!! It’s 3:00 somewhere 🙂

32. butterfly says:

Thrilled to find myself on the May list, thank you! And what a fun tag for June – this is going to require the thinking cap, and I’m away from my craft table for most of the month working – so I’ll have plenty of planning time!!
    Alison xx

33. Congrats to the winners! Wonderful coffee gift card tag!!! Thank you for the tutorial.

34. Mel Roberts-Hareld says:

Gonna REALLY have to say, “thank you!”, for THIS one, Mr. Holtz!!! Honestly, I love each and every one of your creations, and they are SO much fun to follow, but here’s one that really takes the cake…
    or shall I say, takes the café? I absolutely LOVE this!!!!!!

35. Carol says:

love the plaid background – perfect for my son’s father’s day card. . .thanks for the idea.

36. Awesome tag, and great background! LOVE that plaid!!! Congrats to all those winners!

37. Debbie says:

Great tag. Love the colors you chose. And who doesn’t love a Starbucks gift card????

38. YAY! So excited to be a May tag winner! and even more excited to make this tag!

39. Cathy Osborne says:

I love the plaid. The subject of this tag is perfect…gotta go now, coffee is calling. 😉

40. very cool tag! love the way you used the colors in making the plaid like look.

41. Patty Pearson says:

Great tag. Perfect for a gift card!

42. Kathy Eddy says:

Love this tag and so simple to create!

43. I love June Tag! Off to get some of these Custom Ink Pads tonight! WOOHOO!!! Congratulations to all the winners and I will be popping in. Thanks so much for including my tag! I’m really happy how it turned out and I adore the Tiny Tattered’s!

44. Violet says:

Nice project once again but alas I don’t have many of the products you used…..the peril of living in a small city.

45. Nancy Osborn says:

Where the heck have I been?? I didn’t even know about the custom ink pad?? I’m in LOVE with it!! Now, who do I send the bill to??? Amazing as always!! TFS!!

46. HOLY CRAPOLA, Starbuck!!!! I LOVE THIS TECHNIQUE!!!!!! ✌

47. Great plaid background and love that this tag can be used as a gift card holder! Thanks for the inspiration Tim and congratulations to all of last month’s winners!

48. Sharon Young says:

Adore this tag! The coffee die is so stinkin cute and so fun to play. Love the plaid technique. Great job. Thanks.