12 tags of 2015 – january…

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.com

happy new year!!!  so are you ready to start the year off with new adventures, new inspirations, and new creative resolutions? well the annual 12 tags series is the perfect way to make that happen. if you’ve been part of the fun for the past several years, thanks for sharing the journey, and if you’re new to the blog, welcome. each and every month throughout the year i share a new tag tutorial to get your creativity going. i showcase various techniques with some of my favorite products, ideas for using stamps, dies, and other tools, and take you step by step through the process to put it all together. even if you don’t have the same products i use, hopefully you will be inspired by the ideas i’ve shared and create your own version. it’s a great way to put the products you have to good use, and challenge your creative process…

you have the entire month to finish your tag and upload it right here on the blog to share with others, and if you also post on social media, be sure to use the hashtag #12tagsof2015

oh and did i mention giveaways? each month we select 12 winners at random who have uploaded their tag the previous month, post their names on the blog, and send them a great prize package from one of our sponsors: ranger, idea-ology, sizzix, stampers anonymous, inspiration emporium, and simon says stamp – pretty cool…

why a tag? well because i find it’s a simple surface that’s easy to create on, play on, and try things without worrying about making a masterpiece. remember it’s all about the process and embracing imperfection. you can use tags for a card front, in an art journal, or just display it as is, but you don’t have to create a tag, just make something using the techniques and ideas shared each month.  it’s all about taking time for yourself to do something creative…

this month’s tag was all about the new year! a time to reflect on the past, while aspiring for new and exciting opportunities ahead. my love for numbers took center stage surrounded by words that inspire me as i hope they inspire you too – let the 12 tags of 2015 begin…t!m

supplies used:

• surfaces: tissue wrap/postale, #8 manila tag
  • distress spray stain: walnut stain, tarnished brass
  • distress paint: tarnished brass, evergreen bough, broken china, pumice stone, picket fence
  • distress marker: block soot
  • distress glitter: tarnished brass
  • adhesives: glossy accents, glue n’ seal
  • tools: craft sheet, scissors, shears, sanding grip, heat tool, distress marker spritzer, mister
  • embellishments: alpha parts/numeric, chitchat stickers, index labels, arrow adornment, mirrored star, crinkle ribbon
  • misc: krylon gold leaf pen, splatter brush

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 1: begin with tissue wrap, manila tag, and glue n’ seal

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 2: apply a wet layer of glue n’ seal to one side of the tag covering completely.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 3: working quickly, lay a piece of tissue wrap over the adhesive and slightly bunch areas of the tissue wrap with your hands to create wrinkles and texture. press flat and let dry or dry with a heat tool.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 4: trim excess tissue wrap from around tag using tonic shears or other non-stick scissors.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 5: to distress, sand and scuff around the edges of the tag to remove some of the tissue wrap.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 6: apply various colors of distress paint to the craft sheet and paint the background of the tag using your fingers.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 7: while paint is still wet, mist with water to react paints and blend colors.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 8: partially dry the painted background with a heat tool.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 9: spray background with a couple of mists of distress spray stain.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 10: while stain is still wet, mist with water to react spray stain and blend color.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 11: blot off excess color with a cloth or paper towel to achieve the desired tone.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 12: dry finished background tag with a heat tool.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 13: cut the “twenty” “one” “5” from alpha parts from sheet, and trim excess plastic barbs.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 14: apply glossy accents to the top surface of the “5”.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 15: spread a thin layer of glossy accents with your finger.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 16: immediately cover the wet adhesive with distress glitter over a piece of scrap paper and remove excess glitter by tapping the edge – do not press down glitter with your hand.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 17: set alpha part aside to allow glittered surface to dry completely.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 18: apply distress paint to surface of “twenty one” alpha parts.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 19: begin drying paint using a heat tool, but use caution and plastic alpha parts can melt. just apply some heat, allow to cool for a minute, and continue drying until most of the paint is dry but not all of it (very important)…

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 20: wipe off the wet paint areas using a dry cloth to create a worn painted finish. *note: the dry painted areas will not wipe off as distress paint it permanent when dry.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 21: just place the alpha parts on the tag for positioning and begin adhering various chitchat stickers on the tag using glossy accents.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 22: continue adhering chitchat stickers until desired look is achieved, then remove the alpha parts.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 23: paint a thin layer of glue n’ seal over the entire tag covering the chitchat stickers and let dry (this is why we adhered the stickers to keep them from sliding around during this step).

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 24: swipe a thin line of black soot distress marker along the edges of the chitchat stickers and immediately smudge the ink with your finger to create a shadowed effect. *note: if you get too much ink on the sticker, simply wipe it off with a damp cloth (this is why we covered the entire surface with glue n’ seal to provide a non-porous finish ove the stickers).

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 25: apply picket fence distress paint to craft sheet and splatter over tag using a splatter brush – let dry.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 26: adhere alpha parts on tag using glossy accents.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 27: i decided to add a few embellishments to the tag with an index label, mirrored star, and arrow adornment.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 28: color a piece of crinkle ribbon with tarnished brass distress spray stain for the perfect metallic ribbon and tie through tag.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comstep 29: for the finishing touch, insert a gold leaf krylon paint pen into a distress marker spritzer and spritz over the entire tag.

12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.comthe details: i love the sparkly texture of this tag using the distress glitter, metallic distress paint, and gold leaf pen to achieve awesome layers.

Pin it to Remember it

Tim Holtz 12 Tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.com

congrats to the winners from the december 12 tags of 2014.  if you see your name (and it links to your tag), please email mario@timholtz.com to claim your prize…
1. Scrappallino
2. VivelaVi
3. Create with Joyce
4. that crazy chick
5. Helen Allen
6. Bodils Hobbyblogg
7. Elena B
8. Mae Nazareth
9. JuJu Crafts
10. Monette R
11. Kimberly C
12. Kath S

*be sure to check your local stores for these supplies or you can click the links below to purchase online with a discount of 10% off your purchase – use the following code with your order: SSS code: 10JANUARYTH

129 Comments to “12 tags of 2015 – january…”

1. Joanne Leigh says:

Love it…!! Will try 🙂

2. Love the 1st tag of the year

3. GaiL MacauLay says:

Just love this tag. Twenty One 5 is my birth month! I will just have to do one!

4. Cindy Marlow says:

I really like the background technique. Ive been saving tissue paper for years and this gives me a good way to use it. I might even try some portion of my wall!

5. Amante del Papel says:

perfect technique for beginning the year!

6. Nancy B says:

Wow! I love the first tag of the new year. I think I need that cool splatter brush.

7. Dria says:

Very cool! Love tissue and paints!

8. Mae says:

Thank you for picking my tag! Congrats to all the winners! Looking forward to #12tagsof2015

9. Sooooo wonderful. I hope you had a great Holiday Season. Blessings to you both and those you hold dear.

10. some awesome eye candy to start the new year right!!

11. rupa says:

I rarely comment here although I visit your blog often obviously! Just want to wish you and Mario a very happy, healthy and creative new year! Great tag as always. Hope one of these days I will gather my guts to share my tag 🙂 You are a genius indeed but I am always so touched by your authenticity and humility! You make everyone feel like an artist and you are so down to earth in person too. God Bless! Hope to see you in MI again in May!

12. Terry says:

Happy New Year and what a fabulous way to start! Wishing you a most wonderful birthday, Tim! Hugs!

13. Kirsten B. says:

I’m not sure which technique is my favorite – covering the entire surface with glue n’ seal to protect against over inking in the next step or using a gold leaf krylon paint pen in the distress marker spritzer. Both are genius! This is a great start to the 2015 tags. Happy New Year!

14. I’m so happy you are continuing on with them…I know it’s a lot of work. Gorgeous tag, and thank you so much for all the inspiration last year and well always!!!

15. Rashmi says:

Peace in 2015

16. Linda M. says:

I love coming here each day and seeing more and more tags. How creative each and every one is – one theme, one great inspiration, and tons of different interpretations.

17. […] 12 tags of 2015 – january… | Tim Holtz. Happy new year!!! […]

18. Kari says:

This tag was so much fun to make my 12 year old daughter wants to make and post one, can’t wait to see what she comes up with. Thanks for all the inspiration.

19. Kari says:

Always love your tags! Can’t wait to see next month’s.

20. Donna Bowman says:

Had so much fun making this tag! Thanks for the inspiration!

21. Colleen Dickinson says:

Hi,
    Just posted mine and so much fun doing this one. I also was able to try some new things and work on some troubling areas in my crafitng. Thanks again.

22. Sammy Jean says:

Just stunning! Absolutely stunning!

I’m hoping to craft along this year. Ill be stocking up on some goodies next week, but shall have to make do with what I have at times… Thats half the fun of it though.
    Happy 2015!

23. […] TimHoltz:  #12tagsof2015 – January […]

24. Jean says:

My first time posting a project I made from your tutorials. Not my first project of yours though!!!! Great start to 2015!!!

25. […]  Go to Tim Holtz Blog to follow his 12 Tags of 2015  […]

26. Anna-Karin says:

Love the tag Tim! All the sparklyness is so much fun and perfect for a January tag. Happy New Year!!

27. Marilynn Ellsworth says:

I would never have thought to use a gold leaf pen in the spritzer, what a great idea. I am always learning new things. Happy New Year!! Hugs

28. Bookworm says:

So glad 12 Tags will continue in 2015! Happy New Year! 🙂

29. M. C. Sparks says:

off into 2015 with a bang! love the use of the glitter

30. marileew says:

Cool tag; great start to 2015!

31. […] ~Kim I’m linking with Tim Holtz’s 12 Tags of 2015! […]

32. jan metcalf says:

Love the effects with the twenty one metal look!

33. Monette Runquist says:

Thanks so much for all the inspiration and the win – so excited!!!

34. That is one fanastic tag. Love all the techniques

35. Anne says:

What fun! Lovely tag!
    Happy New Year!

36. Annie says:

Love this tag Tim x wonderful details/instructions. Here’s to the most wonderful New Year 2015. Hope you make it to the UK xx

37. Kirsten Alicia says:

Very cool tag! I love the textures & the splatters are a fab addition. Happy New Year to you & Mario & thanks for continuing the 12 Tags series.

38. JaninTucson says:

A M A Z I N G !!!! You’re just AMAZING! LOVE this tag, Tim. Happy New Year!!

39. Kathleen Lundman says:

Wow, love all that you did on this tag! I was wondering how this all was going to turn out since there were a few things that you were doing that threw me off! Of course, you know exactly what you are doing and the end result was amazing. Great job! And Happy New Year!

40. Since the Pinterest button is posted on the blog, are we permitted to pin this tutorial to our own boards?

41. Sandi Parrott says:

Can’t wait to play with this tag. Now that Christmas is over, I’m back to spending my money on Tim products. Happy 2015!

42. barbara lassiter says:

So glad to see you’re continuing the 12 tags of the year. Its fun to see what you and everyone creates. Oh, and Happy New Year to you, Mario and all those who create with you!

43. Cathy Osborne says:

Very cool tag – I love the “finger painting” technique. Gotta love when you can get paint all over your fingers while creating.

44. Always enjoy the 12 tags for the year, just never take the time to do them. My resolution for this year and my inspiration will be doing the tags and not just reading about them. Will see how many months I last.

45. Excited to get started!! Love this monthly challenge!

46. Carol watson says:

Love the background with the splatters of gold leaf. Traveling now but Tim time as soon as I get home!

47. Rosann says:

Happy 2015 ! What a fun tag ; all those little fine details spatter and spritz oh my … can’t wait to play 🙂