12 tags of 2013 – february…

2013february

can you believe a month has already flown by this year?  i mean where did january go?  it was definitely a busy month around here, and i must say that i’m certainly glad it was.  today i’m happy to start off the month with the february tag of 2013 – have you been creating the tags this year?  i hope so… if not, it’s never too late to jump right in and start with this month (remember all of the tutorials for the previous tags and even previous year’s tags are located in the archive links in the right column of the blog)…

so with valentines day being just a couple of weeks away now, my inspiration was the new “queen of hearts” blueprint stamp which i thought was the perfect image to use.  i really enjoy using so many of the blueprint images on my tags and cards especially if i’m coloring them in, and today is all about coloring.  when distress markers were first released, i made a video sharing many of the tips and techniques for using them (click here to watch).

well like with any product, the more you use it, the more you discover about it – right?    what i love most about distress markers is that even though you may not be the best “colorer” they certainly make you look like you know what you’re doing – hey i’m proof of that.  so today i want to share a new distress marker video i made that includes some updated info, new tips and techniques for getting the most from these awesome markers.  it’s over on ranger’s website so head over there to check it out and then come right back so we get started on the tag…

supplies: distress markers, waterbrush/detailer, distress stain/festive berries/fired brick, distress ink/black soot/frayed burlap, archival ink/jet black, mister, heat tool, craft sheet, glossy accents, ink blending tool, #8 manila tag; sanding grip, tissue tape/symphony, cash keys, vial labels, paper string, chitchat stickers/seasonal, jump ring; kraft core/seasonal impressions; stamps/cms143/cms120, gird-blocks; scissors, paper distresser; foam tape; watercolor paper (140lb. cold press)

step 1: stamp the queen of hearts on 2 pieces of watercolor paper using archival ink.

step 2: cut one of the images around the card, and the other around the queen body (i want stamp2cut for this one, but it’s not available until march…ugh!)

step 3: color the images using distress markers and blend using the detailer water brush. *be sure you’ve watched today’s distress marker video for more info on watercoloring with the markers.

step 4: distress a manila tag by swiping distress stain/festive berries over the entire tag.

step 5: begin drying the tag with a heat tool.

step 6: while drying the tag, spritz it with water to react the inks to create a great watery effect.

step 7: swipe a darker color of distress stain/fired brick over various areas of the tag.  follow the previous steps by drying the tag again and spritzing with water to blend.

step 8: drag a paper distresser along the edges of the tag to tatter.

step 9: ink the edges of the tag with black soot distress ink using an ink blending tool.

step 10: stamp the queen of heart blueprint image directly on to the tag with archival ink and let dry.

step 11: cut a piece of kraft core seasonal impressions to 3″ wide which is slightly smaller than the tag.

step 12: choose the areas you want and tear the paper to create a cool edge.

step 13: place the paper on to a scrap piece of paper and sand over the raised areas with a sanding grip to expose the kraft core.  what i love about this seasonal impressions is that is has a variety of sized words and images so it is perfect for all kinds of projects including tags and cards since they have smaller embossed designs you can’t get with an embossing folder. (here’s a video for that too)

step 14: adhere the kraft core to the tag using glossy accents or your favorite adhesive (i decided to tear off a little more).

step 15: adhere the colored queen of hearts images using foam tape on each layer for added dimension.

step 16: to create a custom cash key, i inked a scrap piece of watercolor paper with distress stains, let it dry, and then punched it out with this oval punch from stampin’ up which is the perfect oval size for custom cash keys.

step 17: next i selected words from the seasonal chitchat stickers (did you know there is a seasonal chitchat set of words?), and i trimmed off some of the excess paper, inked the edges a little with distress ink, and adhered them to the punched oval.

step 18: apply a small amount of glossy accents to the inside area of the cash key and spread it around with the tip of the bottle.

step 19: adhere the paper background to the cash key and hold in place to dry.

step 20: adhere the included epoxy stickers to create a cool custom embellishment.

step 21: cut a strip of paper string and ink it with distress ink using an ink blending tool.  simply ink up the tool, press the tool on to one end of the string on your craft sheet, and pull the string under the inked foam to distress.  it’s that easy!

step 22: tie the paper string around the tag a few times and tie it in a knot – the inked string is perfect.

step 23: stamp the pointing finger on to a vial label using archival ink and heat to dry.

step 24: adhere the vial label with foam tape and attach the cash key to the string with a jump ring. *tip: i also add a small piece of foam tape to the back of the cash key to keep it in place and always facing the way i want.

step 25: working on your craft sheet, roll out about 18″ or so of tissue tape.

step 26: fold the entire piece of tape together (sticky side to sticky side) in half.

step 27: crumple tissue tape in your hand to create a piece of cool, durable tissue ribbon – very cool right?

step 28: fold the strip in half and insert the fold through the hole in the top front of the tag.

step 29: bring the ends of the tissue tape through the loop and pull to secure.  then just trim the ends with scissors and you’re all done!

the details: i love the look of the layered stamped and cut image for this tag.  distress markers really do make it easy to create a perfect watercolored image.

the details: it’s important to remember you can customize many of the embellishments you already have for projects you’re working on – always think outside the box.

so remember to share the love this month…the creative love….with yourself!  take time to just make something whether it’s for yourself or that someone special, enjoy the fun of being creative.  i hope you give coloring with distress markers a try, they sure are fun and easy to use.  remember if you do participate in the 12 tags, be sure to upload your tag to the blog for your chance to be a winner!  in fact, it’s time to announce our first 12 tags of 2013 random winners from the january tag uploads so i’ll sign off here. i hope you enjoy today’s tag, and remember “i heart you”…t!m

one more thing: many of you have been asking for a “12 tags of 2013” image to copy and paste on to your blog to show that you’re participating in the tags – so here it is…

congrats to the winners from the januray 12 tags of 2013.  if you see your name (and it links to your tag) please email mario@timholtz.com to claim your prize…

1. Rebecca Morris
2. Lise A. Seivaag
3. Sarinda Jones
4. BJ
5. Trent Miller
6. Belinda Achatz
7. Annie G
8. Nicolle Kramer
9. Brenda Brown
10. Hazel H
11. Chris R
12. Nonnie

(SSS code: THFEBTAG / IE code: timtime)

Buy it here! (IE|SSS)

Buy it here! (IE|SSS)

click here (SSS|IE)

click here (SSS|IE)

click here (IE|SSS)

247 Comments to “12 tags of 2013 – february…”

1. gail kennaugh says:

This card ROCKS red is my favorite color. And the queen. Just Fav.

2. corinna says:

love the tag, the colouring with the distressed markers looks great, quite distressed infact!!! the vidoes are, as usual, are very instrutional… how do you find the time for everything??? very full life, take care, corinna

3. KathyK says:

So far, my 2nd favorite tag this year! Love what you did with the tissue tape! And I <3 the I heart you charm! Fab!!!

4. Sue W. says:

Very cool tag Since I don’t have the new stuff (yet!) I will have to see what I can come up with from my stash.

5. bonnie kurz says:

Love the tag. Kind of different, working in brighter colors. Gotta get that paper. Simon Says here I come.

6. Pam Reed says:

Awesome instructional vid … thanks for that! Such versatile tools are the Distress Markers!! Thank you so much!

7. Sheri K says:

What an awesome tag and great techniques–can’t wait to give it a try!

8. Diane Young says:

I love that tip for using tissue tape as ribbon. Very clever!

9. butterfly says:

What a scrumptious Valentine tag – absolutely love the black kraft core embossed – wow!!
    Alison x

10. Paula says:

Oooo you are the best! Love this tag 🙂

11. Cathy Doerr says:

Love the Valentine tag. Great idea with the tissue tape tie.

12. I need to get back on the tag bandwagon and play along. I have learned so much from you with your 12 tags of Christmas and honestly it’s just been laziness that has kept me from playing along since you’ve gone monthly.
    Congrats to all the winners.
    I love it when you link blogs and photos here on your blog. So much inspiration out here in the world wide web it’s fun to find new places to play.
    ~Jill

13. Helen says:

love the tag. Thanks

14. MaryB says:

I am going to make a mini version for the Valentine configurations box I am putting togrther! Love!

15. yelowflower says:

congrats to the winners!!!

I am hoping to actually participate this time…lol

16. Pattie's passion (PattiM) says:

I love this tag, super cute!! I believe those stamps have a place in my stamp drawer, will be looking for them in the near future to fill that spot.

BTW…..any chance that your going to create a stapler like the tiny attacher that will reach to the center of a 12 x 12 layout???? I need one desperately!

Hugs,

PattiM
    (Pattie’s passion)

I Scrap So All Moments Are Remembered!!

17. Another fantastic tag! Congrats to the January winners!

18. Hetty says:

Congratulations to all the winners. Enjoy!
    The new Febuary tag is devine. Valentine will be memorable this year.

19. Kelly Karas says:

I heart those cash keys!!

20. Di says:

oh i love feb. tag did you need me to send you my address. so you can mail it to me,lol di

21. Gigi says:

Way ta go, Tim. I LOVE the stamp!

22. iruha says:

amazing work! just fantastic!

23. Helen says:

Gorgeous tag for February, Tim. Off to watch the videos.

24. Lynn Stevens says:

I’ll be playing along in this one and Thanx for the cool logo!

25. diana says:

Thanks for all these great techniques! I always learn something new. I heart Tim’s 12 Tags all year. 😉

26. Eva R says:

Stunning!

27. Melanie says:

Love it! This one is just perfect for valentine’s day. I wish I could make one too, but the blueprint stamps are not available yet in the Netherlands 🙁

28. What a gorgeous Tag!! I adore those Blueprint Stamps, just haven’t had a chance to buy any yet. I love your idea of using Tissue Tape as the Tag Ribbon..brilliant!! Thank you for the Tags of 2013 Blog Badge, my blog will wear it proudly. Congratulations to all of the January Winners!

29. Cathy says:

Perfect for a Valentine! Love it

30. cheryl c says:

I really liked learning about your “reverse” water blending in the video. How cool is it to dip the marker into water and then blend from nearly colorless to the darker, original color of the marker! Love that! And I love the tissue tape tip – genius! I was just trying to figure out how to make a ribbon but the sticky side kept me from having success. Thanks! I can go finish my card now.

31. I like the bezel with the heart words inside and the scraps of embossed,sanded words on the bottom.

32. Sandra Nosek says:

I love the tag And can’t wait to get started! I love to create my own things but I think the thing I love most about watching your videos are stepping out of the box and learning multiple ways to do things!

33. Oh..my!!! LOVE your tag ♥
    Love the idea to use tissue tape!
    Thanks for inspiration!!!

34. PatGLex says:

OMG! The tissue-tape-to-ribbon idea — I must use that! Thanks for the inspiration!

35. janet wilson says:

Love this tag, particularly love the tissue tape ‘ribbon’, cool idea!

36. KimSim says:

I love the tissue tape idea! I can’t wait to try it. I was wondering, does anyone still sell the empty tube for the markers? I didn’t get one when I bought my markers originally.

37. Linda Woerth says:

sweet tag for valentines day.

38. Naomi Davis says:

Love, Love, Love the Queen of Hearts Tag. Especially the use of tissue tape.

39. Jingle says:

WOW! This one is so totally awesome! I love it!!!

40. DuhBe says:

Can’t wait to try out some of these techniques with distress markers and I love that tissue tape as ribbon idea.

41. Julie Kilgour says:

That is awesome Tim and your step by step instructions are fantastic 🙂 thanks for the tips and tricks x

42. Sara Jansen says:

Love this!! The blueprint stamps are just wonderful…so much fun to color. Can’t wait to watch the new video about the markers; they are a multi-faceted addition to my art table!!

43. awesome!! loving the tag for this moth!! thanks for sharing and have a fabulous weeked!! =)

44. barbara lassiter says:

Love your tag and the encouragement you give us to try out our creativity. Others may have tried this little tidbit, but I placed some little dots of glossy accents on a strip of colored card stack and let them dry. I then carefully peeled them off leaving a little color behind and created some matching “bling” for a card. They were not entirely perfect, but we embrace imperfection!!!! This is probably an old idea but I came across it by mistake and thought I would share.

45. WilmaB says:

O wow, great tag, love the tissue tape tip!!! Thanks again for the inspiration.
    Congrats to the lucky winners!

46. kristen says:

sigh. Another cool tag more stuff I want to buy. Love & can’t wait to use the tissue tape idea!

47. Barbara Albrecht says:

Love this month’s tag! Thanks for the updated video on Distress Markers! I learned a lot…especially about the different papers.

48. Rosiej says:

Oh my gosh! I love this tag! The queen of hearts blueprint stamp is out of this world! I didnt even imagine how awesome this tag would turn out when we got the sneak preview the other day! Love it!

49. Ciongrats to the winners! ANd wowo what a fun tag this is. I love the layers of stamping, the stamp and the bright red background!

1 2 3 4 6