12 tags of 2012 – june…

2012june

hard to believe we’re already in june – where does the time go seriously?  i have to say, it’s a good feeling to be able to post this month’s tag on the 1st woohoo!  i love the technique for this month’s tag and ranger has a cool new tool they released earlier this year to make it even easier.  get ready to alter your photos distress style…

supplies: craft sheet, distress inks/vintage photo/walnut stain/fired brick/antique linen/black soot, ink blending tool, craft nibs, craft nib holder, distress stains/tattered rose/frayed burlap/picket fence, archival ink/jet black, multi medium, paint dabber/snow cap, mister, heat tool, #8 manila tag, trimmings, trinket pin, jump ring, muse token, file tabs, pen nib, gem clip, adornment, mini numeral, word band, long fasteners, foliage, film strip ribbon, tiny attacher, paper stash/destinations, tissue tape/symphony, cms037 stamps, paper distresser, scratch tool, black & white photo, adhesive

step 1: for background of tag, apply picket fence distress stain to craft sheet.

step 2: apply additional colors of distress stains around picket fence.

step 3: swipe tag through stains on craft sheet to create a marbleized effect.

step 4: dry tag with heat tool.

step 5: mist tag with water and dry again to mottle the background inks.

*this is the background effect this technique creates.

step 6: to colorize trimmings, cut a few pieces of ribbon and rose trim and mist with water from mister.

step 7: swipe distress stains directly over trims.

step 8: crumple crinkle ribbon into a ball and set both aside to dry.

step 9: stamp background of tag using archival ink and create a random pattern.

step 10: next we’re going to tint a photo using distress inks.  check out this video for the step by step tutorial.

*here’s a copy of the original photo – click to save and print.

step 11: mount your tinted photo on to background paper and trim leaving a border.

step 12: distress the edges with a paper distress and tear the bottom edge.

step 13: apply snow cap paint dabber over metal embellishments.

step 14: rub excess paint off of embellishments with your fingers leaving paint in the recessed areas.

step 15: create file tab by layering the included image and epoxy stickers.

step 16: remove the pre-adhesive back tabs.

step 17: place the first tab behind the edge of the photo as shown.

step 18: fold tab in half and press to secure top adhesive tab.

step 19: attach word band to photo with long fasteners and attach mini numeral using tiny attacher (the tiny attacher is a perfect way to secure across the mini numerals – cool huh?).

step 20: adhere photo to tag and clip a snip of film strip ribbon to photo using gem clip for a little bling.

step 21: adhere pen nib to tag with multi-medium.

step 22: tie ribbon through top of tag and secure muse token with trinket pin and jump ring.

step 23: to tatter the edges of ribbon, i like to use my scratch tool from tonic (it’s a great way to fray the edges of die cut fabric pieces too).

step 24: adhere a piece of tissue tape to the corner of the tag for a collage element.

step 25: snip a piece of rose trimmings.

step 26: insert a long fastener through the center of the rose.

step 27: slide the leaves from the foliage over the fastener.

step 28: secure to tag.

the details: i love the combination of textures on this tag including the photo, metals, and fabrics.

the details: creating the tattered edge of the tinted photo is also a great texture to add to this tag.

well i hope you try this cool way to tint photos adding this nostalgic look to your memories.  this month’s tag is your opportunity to dig into your embellishment stash and (brace yourself) use them!  lol…  honestly, it’s so much fun to use a random assortment of trinkets and findings to create a wonderful finished collage styled tag.  have fun with this one – i sure did…t!m

congrats to the winners from the may 12 tags of 2012 gallery posts.  if you see your name below and it links to your tag, please contact mario@timholtz.com to claim your prize!  (*note: we are leaving for australia on monday so if you claim your prize by sunday 6/3 it will ship before we leave otherwise it will not be sent until we return on 6/26)

1. BJ
2. Barbara Greve
3. Prickan
4. Jennifer Hawkins
5. Linda, the funkie junkie
6. Tracey ~ GardenOf
7. Miss Stamp Alot
8. Kimberly F
9. Pascale B.
10. Kate
11. nikita20
12. Kirstin Crossland

click here (SSS|IE)

212 Comments to “12 tags of 2012 – june…”

1. Kathy Andrews says:

Thanks for the video; really like the tag. As I watch you vintage the phono it doesn’t seem that dramatic of change UNTIL is see the comparison… very nice! Sometimes I wonder where’s the brain… things in my stashes I don’t use ‘outside the norm’ until I see one of your videos and then think “DUH… why didn’t I think of that? “

2. Carol Watson says:

Marvelous, love the tag. I had just finished one that i made into a birthday card. Will have to try another. Your the best! Have a fabulous trip down under.

3. Noreen says:

Wonderful colors! And I love all the metal embellishments.

4. Nicole H. says:

I love everything about his tag Tim!! Thank you for explaining that distress ink is formulated for stamping on photos–this is wonderful news–I’m off to stamp on some photos now!! 🙂

5. Leona Nin Sander-Hunter says:

Love this tag!! Can not wait to print out some photos of my two beautiful granddaughters so I can start tinting. What fun!!

6. Monica Smith says:

This month i will try to make the tag as i am having problems with the size and since buying 1000 tags I need to get the hang of it and compose in #8. It was great fun visiting the winners and realizing that not having all the things you use is a bonus and all those stored treasures can be displayed. This will further stimulate the little grey cells.

7. jan m says:

So simple, but I love the white paint in the recessed metal! Nice look! Nice tag with many great techniques!

8. Rudy Imbert says:

Excellent post.. I had to scan it twice to understand it all though, haha!

9. Carole Miller says:

Cool One more idea to try. Thank you

10. Jeri Blaufuss says:

Another splendid tag. Have to get the nibs for my stash. Love the tag.

11. Jo Ann D. says:

Another great tag! I love using the nibs…have never seen the nib holder. Obviously I must now have one! Great technique for photo coloring. Thanks for sharing your amazing talent!

12. Helen says:

Great tag. Love the frayed rose with the metal leaves!

13. Alicia Gnam says:

Congrats to the winners! Love the techniques for this month’s tag Tim! 🙂

14. Nurse Ratchet says:

Fabulous….love the photo technique and I have just the photo to play with!!

15. Barbara L says:

Thanks for the picture and the info on tinting photos. Somehow I’d missed that. And finally I have a use for those nibs I had stashed.
    Cool tag!

16. Gorgeous tag & the tinted photo looks cool, can’t wait to try it. Thanks, Tim, happy June to you.

17. Love this month’s tag Tim! Just recently discovered some vintage photos of my husbands and this technique would make a wonderful tribute photo for the family. Thanks as always for your fabulous creative ideas!

18. pam wark says:

those ink nibs look like such fun! leave it to you to take things to yet another level! thanks for the inspiration! another trip to absolutely everything is in my future……

19. yogi says:

nice tag. Nice details and love the background. Congrats to the winners. Have a great trip

20. Shirley in Queen Creek, AZ says:

Love the May tag Tim! I have so many old black and white photos left by my Mother. I never thought about copying them and then coloring them. What a really cool technique.

21. Mary H says:

Love the tag!! I have to try that technique it came out so cool!

22. Wanda H says:

LOVE this tag!!!!!!!!!! Fabulous!!!

23. Theresa Grdina says:

I am WILD for this tag!!! It is fabulous!!! I cannot wait to give this one a try!!!!

24. Barbara Smith says:

What a beautiful tag. I absolutely adore the photo tinting technique.

25. Beth Henry says:

This tag is gorgeous! I think this is one of my favorites that you have done! Thank you so much for all the inspiration!

26. Candy says:

nice.

27. Michelle Bermingham says:

GORGEOUS TAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOVE IT!!!!
    I had to laugh when you said use the stash!!!! LOL!!!!!!
    I couldn’t bring myself to use my stash so I have had to buy a second pack of everything!!!
    I know I am SAD, but I can now use stuff without getting palpitations!!! LOL!!
    Hope you have a SAFE and FANTASTIC trip!!
    ENJOY!!
    Inky Hugs,
    Michelle xx

28. Barbara Albrecht says:

What a fun tag!!! Thank you for providing a copy of your photo, too!

Congratulations to all the winners of May’s tag.

Safe travels to the land of OZ!!

29. Anna-Karin says:

Love the tag!! Wonderful textures! I use the pen nibs all the time for my scenic stamping, but haven’t tried tinting a photo with them yet. Thank you for the inspiration Tim!

30. Cheryl says:

Super fun technique! Love the look that little bit of color gives a B&W photo. Thanks for sharing it with us!

31. Jen Johnson says:

Cool Tag! Love the background, I’m going upstairs to start on this one right away. The East Coast Stamp Convention starts today and I’m going TOMORROW…I want to wear one of your tags! YaHooZie!

32. Bev W. says:

Love this tag!!! The layers and techniques…..can’t wait to play! Have a safe and fun trip boys:)

33. KimMJ says:

Love it! The photo is just too cute and love what you can do with the distress stains.

34. Gerrie Johnnic says:

The finished project is rockin’ my socks off! I am in love with every little detail of this fabulous tag, can’t wait to try my hand at it.

35. Julie Heyer says:

WOW Tim, every time I think you can’t impress me again with your tags you do! Terrific and love the photo tinting and the rose ribbon piece attached with a brad! Great ideas!

36. What a cool tag! I remember doing this photo colouring technique when the video first came out. It’s great fun to play with scans of antique photos.
    Linda S in SC

37. AmyLynn says:

Wow…that distress photo technique is amazing! I love it! Thanks for sharing the fabulousness (is that even a real word?) Its so inspiring!

38. stampersuzz says:

Fantastic inspiration! I had fun playing along this morning!

39. Melanie says:

Wow! I’ll have to get out the vintage family photos to copy and colorize. Lots of fun techniques!

40. Annie says:

Beautiful!!! I just love this technique of tinting photos. Thanks for the super video on how you did it. Great layering on this tag. I can’t wait to incorporate these wonderful techniques.
    Annie in DE

41. Donna O says:

I cannot wait to make this tag over and over again. Just love it and all the details. Thanks again for motivating me. Have a safe trip to Australia. Donna O

42. marie sierra says:

wow tim!! your attention to detail is awesome! which makes it so much easier for me to try to create a tag of my own following your techniques! you are awesome!
    marie

43. Therese says:

OMG, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY WISH COME TRUE……………. I JUST LOVE THIS, THE WHOLE TAG IS AMAZING BUT MOST OF ALL IS THE PICTURE……. XO

44. Peggy Giovanetti says:

I’ve been using the ink & nibs to color stamped images, I NEVER thought of using this technique on photos; thanks so very, very much!!!!!

45. This is awesome! I’m on vacation this week so I can go find the craft nibs to play!! ……and oh my gosh!!! My name is up there for May!!!! Thank you! Enjoy Oz!

46. EmeralDQueen says:

Wow this one is full of embellishments, love it Tim. Can’t wait to do mine 🙂

47. Inge says:

cute girly tag ! Love the photo tinting, but I’ll try it with my distress stains : favorite coloring product for the moment !

greetings from Belgium
    Inge

48. Renee S. says:

This is packed with technique and product. What great ideas – the foliage leaves behind the rosette, those gem clips…
    Loving the marbelized look, too. Amazing!

49. alison bergman says:

Love this…I love all things old, and this is beautiful. Thanks so much for the video on tinting photographs, I will so use this in my scrapbooks on family history. Just love all of it! I love the leaves under the rose . Thanks so much for such a pretty project arriving on such a dreary morning! You made the sunshine with this project!

50. Angele says:

LOVE the technique for aging/colouring photo’s with distress – so much more fun than doing it with the computer!
    Again great tag with great ideas!

1 2 3 4 5