12 tags of 2012 – august…

2012august

it’s been back to business as usual around the studio mixed with a little creativity as we’ve had some friends visiting us since we’ve been back from our trip.  we’ve also been busy with a few last minute details and surprises from my upcoming workshops and demos at stampaway this weekend.  i’m telling you, this one-day show is a must for any serious stamper, it’s really incredible.  busy, busy, busy…but not too busy to share the august tag…

well, as you know i’ve said it many times before, inspiration is everywhere – i truly believe that.  so this month’s tag was inspired by my recent trip to the happiest place on earth – a place filled with imagination and “timeless memories”.  as we strolled down main street i couldn’t resist catching a glimpse of the silhouette artist clipping away those iconic shapes.  there’s truly something nostalgic about the look, the art, and the craft of it all.  of course this inspiration also provided me the opportunity to use my new silhouettes stamp set from stampers anonymous.  combine that imagery with this custom rose making trick, and we’ve created a tag with pure vintage goodness.  let’s get started…

supplies: craft sheet, distress ink/antique linen/pumice stone/vintage photo/walnut stain/tattered rose/worn lipstick/broken china, distress stains/tattered rose, ink blending tool, felt, paint dabber/juniper, archival ink, distress embossing ink, black embossing powder, heat tool, perfect pearls mist/heirloom gold, #8 manila tag, mister; crinkle ribbon, baubles, wire pin, type charms, locket keys, chit-chat stickers, sanding grip; kraft core; tattered pinecone die, mini leaf and branch die, base tray, book covers texture fade, on the edge die/plaque & postage, vagabond; stamp set cms#137 , paper distresser; glue gun; foam tape

step 1: stamp frame on to tag with clear embossing ink.

step 2: apply black embossing powder over image and remove excess.

step 3: heat emboss with heat tool until image has melted and is raised.

step 4: stamp silhouette image into center of frame with archival ink.

step 5: emboss the tag using the oval book cover texture fade leaving the stamped areas of the tag smooth.

step 6: die cut the bottom edge of the tag using the on the edge plaque die.

step 7: apply paint dabber to the craft sheet.

step 8: apply a piece of felt to the ink applicator tool and rub over paint on craft sheet saturating the felt.

step 9: lightly tap and swipe painted tool over raised embossed surface – let dry.

step 10: ink the tag with distress ink using an ink blending tool starting with the lightest color of distress ink in the center and working out with darker shades of brown.

step 11: drag paper along edges of the tag and ink if desired.

step 12: mist cloth with water from mister.

step 13: lightly swipe damp cloth over inked tag revealing paint color as paint resists the distress ink.

step 14: create 3 roses from kraft core paper using the technique i shared in this video from last year’s 12 tags of christmas.

step 15: die cut leaves and branch from kraft core.

step 16: sand edges of all die cut pieces using sanding grip.

step 17: for leaves, fold in half and sand along fold to create a leaf vein.

*this is the effect you should get…

step 18: ink edges of roses and all die cut pieces with various colors of distress ink using an ink blending tool.

step 19: snip toothpick from base of rose.

step 20: adhere roses to bottom of tag using a glue gun or other adhesive of choice.

step 21: adhere leaves tucking under the roses.

step 22: adhere twigs around roses and leaves.

step 23: shake perfect pearls mists and lightly mist over completed tag for a pearly shimmering effect – let dry.

step 24: colorize crinkle ribbon using tattered rose distress stain, and dry with heat tool – tie on to tag.

step 25: attach type charm, locket key, and baubles to wire pin and secure through ribbon on tag.

step 26: remove chit-chat stickers and ink edges with distress using ink blending tool.

step 27: adhere words to tag using foam tape for dimension and the finishing touch.

*in the details: i love the dimensional look of these hand-made paper roses and how they adorn the vintage iconic look of the silhouette.

well i hope you give this month’s tag a try.  the possibilities of creating your own roses are endless especially with the variety of papers out there.  of course for this tag, if you don’t have all of the supplies you can get creative and make your own flowers using decorative scissors, torn papers, you name it.  remember the reason for 12 tags is to hopefully inspire you, and more importantly, give you time to create and enjoy the journey too…t!m

congrats to the winners from the july 12 tags of 2012 gallery posts.  if you see your name below and it links to your tag, please contact mario@timholtz.com to claim your prize!

1. Debi Ryan NZ
2. Cynthia
3. Cheryl
4. Kimberly F
5. Anne Rx
6. Helen
7. inkypinkycraft
8. Nicie Ibarra
9. Lisa Sackett
10. Melody Holcomb-Ho…
11. Sarah M
12. Sue

(SSS code: TH12AUG / IE code: timtime)

click here (SSS|IE)

173 Comments to “12 tags of 2012 – august…”

1. rhonda nickol says:

lovely tag and i love seeing the other crafters tags!

2. Connie Axford says:

Vintage is my absolute favorite and you have’nt disappointed. Great tag!

3. Rhonda Z says:

I really love this tag! It’s elegant and looks lke an hierloom. Thanks Tim for taking the time to post these tags for us!

4. Renee S. says:

Love this tag! Now I must get the pine cone die. You are such a good enabler! Thank you for the inspiration.

5. Kathy says:

This tag is beautiful; I once had a silhouette picture of three generations; my lovely Mom, me, and my daughter, and believe it or not, from Disney in CA. I of course lost it in my house fire, so this really touched my heart. I like every single thing about it. Sniffle-sniffle… Thanks, Tim.

6. cheryl c says:

This reminds me of the old silhouette pictures with the convex glass in so many homes long ago! Except they didn’t have the beautiful 3 dimensional goodies! Beautiful one,Tim.

7. kathy says:

This would make a beautiful Christmas tag. I can see red, pink,, lace, snow…… Thanks Tim!

8. Erin Glee says:

Great tag and instuctions!
    Congrats to last months winners!

9. Diane Young says:

Another winner. More inspiration. More stuff on my wish list. Sigh…..

10. Barbara Nussbaum says:

I can not beleive it you can use the pine cone die to make roses. Oh my is all that comes to mind. Thank you as always for the inspiration

11. Debra says:

*´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•` Wonderful!

12. Lisa Sackett says:

Ooo, I’m a winner! Thank you so much! I just love these monthly challenges! I’m already working out my next tag, as I just love the silhouettes and mini roses — though I have developed a bad habit of posting later in the month. I’m actually looking forward to school being back in session so I can’t have more play time. =)
    Thanks again! I better go check in with Mario now…Woo Hoo!!

13. Kelly-K says:

artfully inspirational! Love your idea of folding the leaf and sanding to create a leaf vein. I need to set aside some studio time to play with embossing folders now. thanks for sharing your creative ideas.

14. jan m says:

Beautiful!!

15. karine says:

Lovely tag as always ! TFS

16. Cim Allen says:

I love the tag ! I need more practice on the roses, but they are getting better 🙂 Thanks Tim !

17. Hetty says:

Congrats to the winners. Tim, this is an other awsome tag. Love the colors, the stamps and those awesome roses!

18. Tona says:

Congrats to all the winners!
    I’m looking forward to getting started on this one.

19. julie says:

What a beautiful vintage tag and your flowers were pretty to. Thanks for sharing,God bless.

20. Angele says:

Wow – the perfect tag to start a walk down memory lane!!!

21. hi Tim – it’s fun to look at your work, but good grief & holy guacamole! this tag — beautiful, yes but — must have cost about $75 to make. i know, i know you have lots of product left for other projects. (and i know it’s your job.) wish you would think about some ways those of us on limited incomes could do similar work for about half the price, maybe create a swap spot where we can swap items (Ranger, of course) we’ve bought but don’t use much. it would be a fantastic service to the 99% :o) — Lynn

22. Inkypinkycraft says:

Oh wow another stunning tag , love those flowers and the gorgeous vintage colours!!! Thanks so much for picking me as a winner , I am just a little bit…hugely chuffed!!!thanks so so much! Trace x

23. Jules says:

Can’t wait to get some of those chit chat words. They look like fun!

24. Cathy in Canada says:

Great tag!!

25. Annie says:

This is so beautiful. The details are exquisite. Thanks for the Pinecone video to refresh my mind and you make it so easy to have the video with this tutorial.
    Annie in DE

26. kim jones says:

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love the roses.

27. Aloha Kate says:

What a fun tag! So happy that you got to go to Disneyland and be inspired. Congrats to the winners from last month’s tags!
    Aloha, Kate

28. It’s gonna sound like this is what I always just SAY, but it’s the TRUTH: I LOVE LOVE LOVE this !!!
    I call them “shadows” because I used to draw the person’s name into a ‘sill’ of them (ballerina, baby, wedding couple, old lady in rocker chair, etc.) and I’ve done over 200 of them for everyone (and I can count one one hand the times I have taken an ‘order’ and been paid for one for a person I didn’t already know personally- I just did them out of LOVE) ! I’ve done one for all the kids in both sides of our families, except for our own. That’s because 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with RA and Fybromyalgia. My hands are too shaky and painful to draw and color like that anymore at the ripe old age of 46. Then I found SIZZIX- and TH Alterations !!! Hubby let me buy the Big Shot and allows me to (TRY TO from Indiana) get TH dies as fast as he can pay for- lol ! Yes, this man I loved so much ALREADY- keeps me VERY happy in my pumpkin shell !!!! So this month’s tag is going to tell this story. Thanks, Tim !!!
    ~Lyla~

29. Kathi R says:

Gorgeous tag!

Thanks for the tutorial and step-out photos.

I never would have thought to use the Dabber paint with the felt to color an embossed image. Wow. I’m going to have to try that real soon!

Congrats to the winners!

30. Sue Kendrick says:

I love love love the roses and use them for so many 3-D projects. This is an awesome tag. Your projects are the best, Tim!

31. Denise Fuss says:

This tag is Absolutely Stunning!!! You have the most creative ideas!

32. Barbara Ford says:

Thanks for the inspiration for another great project, Tim. I didn’t have most of the supplies you used, but I do have a lot on hand. I know you encourage creativity using what we have, so that’s what I did. Love the heritage stuff!

33. Annamarie says:

Grrr, I can never get my roses to look as good as yours, I’m jealous, but I will keep trying. Thank you for the wonderful tag.

34. Betty R says:

beautiful!

35. Helen says:

Wonderful tag, I am falling behind in making the tags but hope to catch up some time – this is a beauty! Well done to last month’s winners.

36. lisa p says:

Love the tag! Thanks for all you do!

37. Linda Cain says:

I have a silhouette of my daughter from Disneyworld from many years ago. What’s old is new….love the tag!

38. CuddlyBunny says:

Your tag reminds me of the tchotchkes that were popular with housewives in the 1940s! Lots of white and pastel porcelain clocks and vases and such …

39. willoww says:

Great tag tim!!! I especially love the embossed frame and how you painted it. It gave it such a patina look!!!

40. RMarijaR says:

Thanks for sharing the latest tag-love the nostalgic feel of it. The texture of the flowers and leaves just make the composition so rich, like a dimensional tapestry.

41. Linda E says:

Gorgeous tag, love it!! The tutorial is great, thanks so much for sharing with us. So glad to hear you guys had a wonderful time on your trip!!

42. Lois K. says:

Wow!!! what a beautifully and timeless tag! I love how the embossing difussers work and am looking forward to trying this out. Thank you and Mario for your hard work in sharing this crafty goodness with us.

43. Jan Mancini says:

Oh my! This is my most favorite tag ever Tim! I love the nostalgia, design and colors! I think I have preordered just about every thing you have coming out this year but the waiting is a killer! Hurry please!!!!!!

44. barbara lassiter says:

This is my favorite tag so far!!!! Have I said that every month! Maybe? My birthday is this month and this is like a little gift for me! It’s fantastic!

45. Fabulous tag! I love the roses too and I am excited to try making some very soon. I just ordered some of the Kraft Core paper yesterday! It was on sale…can’t pass up a great sale!

46. Sandy Duley says:

Tim,
    Love this tag and the flowers are just wonderful. Thanks for sharing the steps on how to do this (can’t wait to try my hand at the flowers)

47. vale says:

Every month I’m looking forward to see the next creation and is a pleasure to discover such beautiful TAG!
    Thanks for sharing your GREAT tecniques!

48. Noreen says:

Love the great look you achieved with the black embossing powder and Juniper paint.

49. […] the lower left is the print out of August’s Tim tag, which looks like a fun one, and on the right is my sketchbook, which is getting a lot more use […]

1 2 3 4