12 tags of 2012 – august…

2012august

it’s been back to business as usual around the studio mixed with a little creativity as we’ve had some friends visiting us since we’ve been back from our trip.  we’ve also been busy with a few last minute details and surprises from my upcoming workshops and demos at stampaway this weekend.  i’m telling you, this one-day show is a must for any serious stamper, it’s really incredible.  busy, busy, busy…but not too busy to share the august tag…

well, as you know i’ve said it many times before, inspiration is everywhere – i truly believe that.  so this month’s tag was inspired by my recent trip to the happiest place on earth – a place filled with imagination and “timeless memories”.  as we strolled down main street i couldn’t resist catching a glimpse of the silhouette artist clipping away those iconic shapes.  there’s truly something nostalgic about the look, the art, and the craft of it all.  of course this inspiration also provided me the opportunity to use my new silhouettes stamp set from stampers anonymous.  combine that imagery with this custom rose making trick, and we’ve created a tag with pure vintage goodness.  let’s get started…

supplies: craft sheet, distress ink/antique linen/pumice stone/vintage photo/walnut stain/tattered rose/worn lipstick/broken china, distress stains/tattered rose, ink blending tool, felt, paint dabber/juniper, archival ink, distress embossing ink, black embossing powder, heat tool, perfect pearls mist/heirloom gold, #8 manila tag, mister; crinkle ribbon, baubles, wire pin, type charms, locket keys, chit-chat stickers, sanding grip; kraft core; tattered pinecone die, mini leaf and branch die, base tray, book covers texture fade, on the edge die/plaque & postage, vagabond; stamp set cms#137 , paper distresser; glue gun; foam tape

step 1: stamp frame on to tag with clear embossing ink.

step 2: apply black embossing powder over image and remove excess.

step 3: heat emboss with heat tool until image has melted and is raised.

step 4: stamp silhouette image into center of frame with archival ink.

step 5: emboss the tag using the oval book cover texture fade leaving the stamped areas of the tag smooth.

step 6: die cut the bottom edge of the tag using the on the edge plaque die.

step 7: apply paint dabber to the craft sheet.

step 8: apply a piece of felt to the ink applicator tool and rub over paint on craft sheet saturating the felt.

step 9: lightly tap and swipe painted tool over raised embossed surface – let dry.

step 10: ink the tag with distress ink using an ink blending tool starting with the lightest color of distress ink in the center and working out with darker shades of brown.

step 11: drag paper along edges of the tag and ink if desired.

step 12: mist cloth with water from mister.

step 13: lightly swipe damp cloth over inked tag revealing paint color as paint resists the distress ink.

step 14: create 3 roses from kraft core paper using the technique i shared in this video from last year’s 12 tags of christmas.

step 15: die cut leaves and branch from kraft core.

step 16: sand edges of all die cut pieces using sanding grip.

step 17: for leaves, fold in half and sand along fold to create a leaf vein.

*this is the effect you should get…

step 18: ink edges of roses and all die cut pieces with various colors of distress ink using an ink blending tool.

step 19: snip toothpick from base of rose.

step 20: adhere roses to bottom of tag using a glue gun or other adhesive of choice.

step 21: adhere leaves tucking under the roses.

step 22: adhere twigs around roses and leaves.

step 23: shake perfect pearls mists and lightly mist over completed tag for a pearly shimmering effect – let dry.

step 24: colorize crinkle ribbon using tattered rose distress stain, and dry with heat tool – tie on to tag.

step 25: attach type charm, locket key, and baubles to wire pin and secure through ribbon on tag.

step 26: remove chit-chat stickers and ink edges with distress using ink blending tool.

step 27: adhere words to tag using foam tape for dimension and the finishing touch.

*in the details: i love the dimensional look of these hand-made paper roses and how they adorn the vintage iconic look of the silhouette.

well i hope you give this month’s tag a try.  the possibilities of creating your own roses are endless especially with the variety of papers out there.  of course for this tag, if you don’t have all of the supplies you can get creative and make your own flowers using decorative scissors, torn papers, you name it.  remember the reason for 12 tags is to hopefully inspire you, and more importantly, give you time to create and enjoy the journey too…t!m

congrats to the winners from the july 12 tags of 2012 gallery posts.  if you see your name below and it links to your tag, please contact mario@timholtz.com to claim your prize!

1. Debi Ryan NZ
2. Cynthia
3. Cheryl
4. Kimberly F
5. Anne Rx
6. Helen
7. inkypinkycraft
8. Nicie Ibarra
9. Lisa Sackett
10. Melody Holcomb-Ho…
11. Sarah M
12. Sue

(SSS code: TH12AUG / IE code: timtime)

click here (SSS|IE)

173 Comments to “12 tags of 2012 – august…”

1. Winne says:

Such a lovely tag! Love the cameo image and frame and the frame!

2. Barbara L says:

I love the versatility of this die. Thanks for the refresher. This is a beautiful tag! Thanks so much.

3. Rita P. says:

So pretty. The roses are wonderful. Thank you so much for the instructions.

4. Kelly Karas says:

Beautiful tag, love silhouettes.

5. This is a stunning technique and a tribute tag.
    I am amazed at all the techniques you can squeeze into 1 tag.
    Love the 1st of the month when I can see the tag you create.

6. Sharon Foster says:

I just got the pine cone die and your tag was wonderful inspiration to use it. Thank you so much.

7. SuZeQ says:

Ohhhhhhh – love this tag. Definitely going to put some of the tips to use (like the felt and paint – genius!)

8. STUNNING! I LOVE this tag! I really need to practice making both roses and pincones with my die!
    Love it, Tim
    Thanks for sharing
    Susan

9. cp says:

I learned how to make paper roses from one of your 12 tags of Christmas posts and have made so many ever since. I can’t wait to make some for this month’s event.

10. Gorgeous vintage feel, great detail, have a great time at the stamp away

11. Connie Pruitt says:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I love this!

12. Now that looks like fun! It really inspires me to get back to creating.

13. Lou says:

Congrats to All the winners! How Bless You are, what a lovely card, the colors placement, and esp thaks for the follow-up link on the tutorial for the roses! You really have THAT NACK, to remember to help us where & when it’s needed! Thanks.How fun when U can have a Bussiness trip Also a COMBO/FUN trip. Blessings and Joy

14. Judi Illingworth says:

I love the muted colors and the theme. Another great tag, Tim. I can’t wait for your new CHA products to arrive. I would have loved to go to Stampaway, but it is sold out. Maybe next time.

15. WilmaB says:

Wow, what a romantic tag! Love every detail of it!

16. Barbara Albrecht says:

BEAUTIFUL!! Truly timeless…love everything about August’s tag!

17. Carol Watson says:

Congrats, you’ve done it again! One more great tag. Love the silhouette stamps and the way you cut the bottom of the tag. Neat way to give it a finished look!

18. Tine Bødker says:

WOUW!….
    I just adore this tag, it is so beautiful!
    Thanks for the inspiration, Tim

19. Dolly/scrapthat says:

Totally reminds me of the Silhouette shop on main street (the minute I saw that silhouette I thought Disney…it just has the look of something from them!)
    I was totally bummed that you and Mario Arrived the day that we left Disney!
    To think I was THAT close to possibly meeting MY dynamic duo! Total bummer!

20. cindy says:

awwww Tim, you really hit the mark with this one. Love It!

21. Dolly says:

Beautiful tag. Love the silhouette stamp.

22. JKnepper says:

Wow, this tag is breathtaking!!

23. Gabby says:

Beautiful! Love all the layers of paint/ink on the emobssed tag. The framed cameo looks awesome. 🙂

24. Like silhouette images. Especially like the flowers.
    Melissa
    “Sunshine HoneyBee”

25. Anna-Karin says:

Beautiful tag! Love the combination of the dry embossing, heat embossed frame, silhouette and shimmer. That stamp set is on its way to me, hoping it gets here soon! TFS!

26. donna russell says:

wow thanks for sharing this beautiful tag. I love it!! Can’t wait to try it.

27. Jennifer S. says:

Fantastic tag! I love the feminine, vintage feel. This would be perfect for Mother’s Day!

28. Jeniff says:

I love this tag, is so beautiful

29. Ana K. says:

Again awesome tag, I love to make things with your tecniques! Thank you for inspiration! Hugs from Slovenia!

30. Connie says:

I am soooo keeping my fingers crossed all this week – I thought I had a place in your class at Stampaway – but then found out I was on the waitlist!!! 🙁 So hopefully there will be room for me on Friday but either way I will be coming by to check out the demos on the floor on Sat. Can’t wait!!
    Connie

31. Sylvia says:

wow, this is so gorgeous!!

32. alison bergman says:

T!m — you are making me need almost everything for this tag…Last year I passed on the pinecone, thinking how many times will I put a pinecone on something…but the rose. Well I NEED them! I need the texture fades too and the silhouettes! Can’t wait to start creating! Yeah for the beautiful August tag.! I must say, looking at it, made me forget it is supposed to be about 100 degrees today, and thought more of shivery November!

33. Caroline D. says:

Your tag is stunning!!! I really love the vintage look to it with the silhouette as the focal point. Thanks for the refresher video on the pine cone/roses. Yours are gorgeous!

34. Debby Podgorski says:

This tag is simply beautiful! Love to see what you create each month!

35. Cathy Homan says:

Absolutely LOVE this tag. I remember doing silhouettes. This is just beautiful.

36. k kampka says:

Wow – I absolutely love this tag! Your inspiration is just in time Tim – I finally have my crop room back after all my home repairs from the storms in May. I can’t wait to get started!

37. Valerie Gee, the Scrappin' V says:

Beautiful, as always! I’m inspired now to use my pinecone die to make a rose! Who knew?!?!?!?! Thanks Tim!

38. Lois says:

I love this tag. So much detail it is beautiful

39. Absolutely gorgeous – what a fantastic combination of techniques! I have those Disney silhouettes of both of my kids from about 20 years ago. Very special memories! 🙂

40. Sue W. says:

Somewhere, my mother has the silhouettes of myself and two younger sisters done at Disney World in the mid to late 70’s.

Another great tag with wonderful inspiration. Gotta see what I can comw up with!

41. Heidi Crowl says:

So pretty!

I think the roses with the tattered pinecone die are also symbolic of a timeless treasure. Any time of year, that die is just perfect! It’s fun to hear stories of your Disney adventures. Nostalgia is one of my most favorite emotions (especially as I get old enough to really experience it) Thanks for sharing with us and encouraging each of us along in our own journeys!

42. Cynthia says:

I won?? I WON!! Yay!!!! Thanks, Tim!!! =D I’m off to work on this month’s tag–seriously cool inspiration!

43. chelle says:

simply live this tag…vintage fabulousness with a great story for inspiration…thank you!!

44. Wowser! When I was little, my dad used to take me to see a man on the West Pier who cut wonderful silhouettes, thanks for the inspiration and the memories

45. Dawn B says:

Absolutely love it! I think this is one of my faces so far this year!!

46. Christina B says:

Where is the year disappearing to! Lovely vintage tag. Enjoyed checking out the july winners tags

47. Julie Case says:

LOVE this tag!! I am definitely inspired! Congrats to the winners!

48. Dee M. says:

Love the rosette tutorial!

49. Chris G. says:

Lovely tag Tim — I adore the old fashion look and the roses are stunning!

50. Joy Kennedy says:

What a beautiful tag. Thanks for letting us play along! 🙂 You truly are an inspiration!

1 2 3 4